Welcome to issue 313 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers from November 16 to December 6, 2014
Quotes of the Week
- Dijkstra: How do we convince people that in programming simplicity and clarity (in short: what mathematicians call "elegance") are not a dispensable luxury, but a crucial matter that decides between success and failure?
- Dijkstra: Simplicity is a great virtue but it requires hard work to achieve it and education to appreciate it. And to make matters worse: complexity sells better.
- monochrom: those who have learned from history are bound to helplessly watch other people repeat it.
Top Reddit Stories
- 24 Days of GHC Extensions: Welcome!. From (ocharles.org.uk), scored 140 with 24 comments.
- How I Start: Haskell. From (howistart.org), scored 120 with 11 comments.
- Lucid: templating DSL for HTML. From (chrisdone.com), scored 105 with 59 comments.
- Erik Meijer planning to make Category theory for programmers MOOC. From (imgur.com), scored 105 with 45 comments.
- An opportunity in Singapore. From (self.haskell), scored 98 with 31 comments.
- Dan Piponi working on an audio synthesis tool written in Haskell. From (plus.google.com), scored 90 with 1 comments.
- GHC and LLVM: The State of the Union. From (smart-cactus.org), scored 86 with 13 comments.
- Learning Haskell as a Nonprogrammer. From (superginbaby.wordpress.com), scored 84 with 77 comments.
- Announcing Opaleye: SQL-generating embedded domain specific language for Postgres. From (self.haskell), scored 84 with 85 comments.
- Deploy any Haskell application. Instantly.. From (halcyon.sh), scored 79 with 27 comments.
- Haskell for all: How to build library-agnostic streaming sources. From (haskellforall.com), scored 75 with 26 comments.
- Image Processing with Comonads. From (jaspervdj.be), scored 74 with 33 comments.
- 24 Days of GHC Extensions: View Patterns. From (ocharles.org.uk), scored 69 with 39 comments.
- Well-Typed are hiring!. From (well-typed.com), scored 68 with 36 comments.
- 24 Days of GHC Extensions: Pattern Synonyms. From (ocharles.org.uk), scored 65 with 20 comments.
- How lazy evaluation works. From (hackhands.com), scored 63 with 30 comments.
- Learn You an Agda. From (williamdemeo.github.io), scored 59 with 61 comments.
- 24 Days of GHC Extensions: Record Wildcards. From (ocharles.org.uk), scored 59 with 38 comments.
- Functional Programming Patterns (BuildStuff '14). From (slideshare.net), scored 55 with 15 comments.
- The GHCJS guys are working on TH cross compiling. From (thread.gmane.org), scored 54 with 15 comments.
- Silk is looking for a Haskell engineer. From (self.haskell), scored 53 with 21 comments.
- Keera studios: Haskell games & adventure engine for Android, beta testers wanted!. From (keera.co.uk), scored 53 with 8 comments.
- 24 Days of GHC Extensions: Bang Patterns. From (ocharles.org.uk), scored 51 with 34 comments.
- Let's Build a Browser Engine in Haskell: part 6. From (hrothen.github.io), scored 49 with 4 comments.
- A Docker build script for GHC 7.8.3 cross-compiler targeting Android. From (github.com), scored 49 with 21 comments.
- amazonka - Comprehensive Amazon Web Services SDK. From (self.haskell), scored 46 with 17 comments.
- 24 Days of GHC Extensions: Rebindable Syntax (guest post by Benjamin Kovach). From (ocharles.org.uk), scored 46 with 14 comments.
- Haskell Communities and Activities Report — November 2014. From (haskell.org), scored 45 with 6 comments.
- A taste of State: parsers are easy. From (nikita-volkov.github.io), scored 44 with 4 comments.
- Hybrid server/client Haskell web apps / Michael Snoyman. From (youtube.com), scored 42 with 31 comments.
- Nix: The Cabal Purgatory HOWTO. From (cse.chalmers.se), scored 41 with 45 comments.
- Ranjit Jhala talks about Liquid Haskell. From (youtu.be), scored 41 with 14 comments.
- A quick and easy Emacs configuration for Haskell. From (github.com), scored 39 with 16 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- Turning A => M[B] into M[A => B] votes: 22, answers: 2
- When are type signatures necessary in Haskell? votes: 19, answers: 3
- Boilerplate-free annotation of ASTs in Haskell? votes: 18, answers: 4
- Can fusion see through newtype wrappers? votes: 17, answers: 1
- Haskell: Why use Proxy? votes: 17, answers: 2
- Is Haskell's laziness an elegant alternative to Python's generators? votes: 16, answers: 3
- Type inference interferes with referential transparency votes: 16, answers: 7
- What exactly is the kind “*” in Haskell? votes: 15, answers: 2
- What's the difference between partial evaluation and function inlining in a functional language? votes: 14, answers: 1
Until next time,
+Daniel Santa Cruz