Welcome to issue 312 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers from October 26 to November 15, 2014
Quotes of the Week
- barsoap: There's no place for half measures in overkill.
Top Reddit Stories
- Category Theory for Programmers: The Preface. From (bartoszmilewski.com), scored 141 with 68 comments.
- Idris 0.9.15 released: partial evaluator, uniqueness types, library cleanups, and fancier docs.. From (idris-lang.org), scored 111 with 55 comments.
- HaskForce - The Haskell Plugin for IntelliJ IDEA. From (carymrobbins.github.io), scored 104 with 34 comments.
- Haskell for all: How to desugar Haskell code. From (haskellforall.com), scored 97 with 50 comments.
- Functional programming and condescension. From (superginbaby.wordpress.com), scored 87 with 147 comments.
- Quick Reminder to be Courteous. From (self.haskell), scored 85 with 39 comments.
- Category Theory Applied to Functional Programming. From (eafit.edu.co), scored 84 with 14 comments.
- New Book - Game Programming in Haskell. From (leanpub.com), scored 84 with 31 comments.
- "hasql" is up to 2x and 7x faster than "postgresql-simple" and "HDBC". From (nikita-volkov.github.io), scored 72 with 22 comments.
- Typing Haskell in Haskell (markdownified with syntax highlighting and updated links). From (gist.github.com), scored 68 with 3 comments.
- Using Haskell at Work. From (self.haskell), scored 66 with 66 comments.
- Category: The Essence of Composition (First section of the Category Theory for Programmers). From (bartoszmilewski.com), scored 60 with 37 comments.
- PureScript 0.6 released, plus new website. From (github.com), scored 55 with 23 comments.
- Tomatoes are a subtype of vegetables. From (blog.ezyang.com), scored 53 with 58 comments.
- The Guts of a Spineless Machine. From (jozefg.bitbucket.org), scored 49 with 11 comments.
- A Large Scale Study of Programming Languages and Code Quality in Github. From (macbeth.cs.ucdavis.edu), scored 47 with 48 comments.
- ghci-ng - GHCi plus extra goodies. From (github.com), scored 45 with 14 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- Haskell's type checker is allowing a very wrong type replacement, and the program still compiles votes: 68, answers: 2
- Subsumption in polymorphic types votes: 29, answers: 1
- Rewriting as a practical optimization technique in GHC: Is it really needed? votes: 23, answers: 3
- Is there an unsigned integer type that will warn about negative literals? votes: 21, answers: 1
- How can I make GHCI release memory votes: 19, answers: 1
- How much of Pascal's triangle does this evaluate? votes: 15, answers: 1
- Why is super-compilation not implemented more prevalent? votes: 14, answers: 3
Until next time,
+Daniel Santa Cruz