Welcome to issue 314 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers from December 7, 2014 to January 3, 2015
I know... I know. It's been a while
Quotes of the Week
- arianvp__: after 5 hours of hacking my code works || now its 3 am || Types make a lot more sense when I'm tired for some reason
- dmwit: "Any coder worth his salt can do the impossible."
- Zemyla: I imagine if [Edward Kmett] had found C++, he would be writing template definitions that would make the faces of the Boost team melt off.
Top Reddit Stories
- Kronos Haskell Notebook (Mac App). From (kronosnotebook.com), scored 114 with 21 comments.
- The "What Are Monads?" Fallacy. From (two-wrongs.com), scored 112 with 93 comments.
- Learn You Some Algebras for Glorious Good! - A fun, easy-to-read math textbook.. From (self.haskell), scored 109 with 106 comments.
- GHC illustrated [PDF]. From (takenobu-hs.github.io), scored 108 with 30 comments.
- The Haskell Cast #9 - Conal Elliott on FRP and Denotational Design. From (haskellcast.com), scored 94 with 34 comments.
- GHC 7.10.1 will support 'static values', allowing you to create stable references to values across programs/machines for serialization, RPC, etc.... From (phabricator.haskell.org), scored 91 with 26 comments.
- 24 Days of GHC Extensions: Thanks!. From (ocharles.org.uk), scored 82 with 11 comments.
- git clone in Haskell from the bottom up. From (stefan.saasen.me), scored 81 with 9 comments.
- A commentary on 24 days of GHC extensions. From (augustss.blogspot.com), scored 78 with 5 comments.
- Haskell for all: A very general API for relational joins. From (haskellforall.com), scored 77 with 29 comments.
- Elm 0.14 - Simpler Core, Better Tools. From (elm-lang.org), scored 76 with 38 comments.
- Rethinking webservice and APIs in Haskell: servant 0.2. From (alpmestan.com), scored 74 with 59 comments.
- ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.10.1 Release Candidate 1. From (permalink.gmane.org), scored 74 with 4 comments.
- 24 Days of GHC Extensions: Rank N Types. From (ocharles.org.uk), scored 69 with 27 comments.
- A Haskell Implementation Reading List. From (stephendiehl.com), scored 66 with 0 comments.
- Learning Curves for different programming languages (including Haskell). From (github.com), scored 66 with 106 comments.
- Functional Education. From (bitemyapp.com), scored 66 with 10 comments.
- Snowdrift.coop hiring lead programmer (Haskell/Yesod). From (snowdrift.coop), scored 65 with 8 comments.
- 24 Days of GHC Extensions: Functional Dependencies. From (ocharles.org.uk), scored 58 with 4 comments.
- So you want to learn type theory... but where to start? Here are some suggestions.. From (purelytheoretical.com), scored 58 with 9 comments.
- 24 Days of Hackage: Static Pointers (guest post by Mathieu Boespflug). From (ocharles.org.uk), scored 57 with 32 comments.
- 24 Days of GHC Extensions: Type Families. From (ocharles.org.uk), scored 56 with 11 comments.
- 24 Days of GHC Extensions: Nullary Type Classes. From (ocharles.org.uk), scored 54 with 23 comments.
- 24 Days of GHC Extensions: DeriveGeneric. From (ocharles.org.uk), scored 54 with 27 comments.
- 24 Days of GHC Extensions: Existential Quantification (guest post by Roman Cheplyaka). From (ocharles.org.uk), scored 54 with 0 comments.
- 24 Days of GHC Extensions: Multi-parameter Type Classes. From (ocharles.org.uk), scored 52 with 11 comments.
- A demo written in Haskell got 3rd place in Experience. From (youtube.com), scored 48 with 37 comments.
- 24 Days of GHC Extensions: Overloaded Strings. From (ocharles.org.uk), scored 48 with 23 comments.
- Intro to Machines & Arrows (Part 1: Stream and Auto). From (blog.jle.im), scored 48 with 25 comments.
- 24 Days of GHC Extensions: Recursive Do. From (ocharles.org.uk), scored 47 with 7 comments.
- 24 Days of GHC Extensions: Scoped Type Variables (guest post by Tim Docker). From (ocharles.org.uk), scored 47 with 18 comments.
- ANNOUNCE: GHC version 7.8.4. From (permalink.gmane.org), scored 47 with 19 comments.
- Categories Great and Small (From Bartosz Milewski's Categories for Programmers series). From (bartoszmilewski.com), scored 46 with 8 comments.
- Denotational design does not work. From (ro-che.info), scored 45 with 39 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- What is happening when I compose * with + in Haskell? votes: 35, answers: 5
- Difference in performance of compiled accelerate code ran from ghci and shell votes: 22, answers: 0
- Why does this Haskell program diverge? votes: 20, answers: 1
- Is it possible to skip the nursery? votes: 20, answers: 1
- Haskell performance implementing unix's “cat” program with Data.ByteString votes: 19, answers: 3
- showsPrec and operator precedences votes: 15, answers: 1
- Why does let y = 1 + y compile, and what does it mean? votes: 15, answers: 1
- Type Family Shenanigans in GHCi votes: 13, answers: 1
- Quirkiness in Haskell 7.8.3 votes: 13, answers: 1
- What is the difference between value constructors and tuples? votes: 11, answers: 2
- Efficient version of 'inits' votes: 11, answers: 2
- Working out the details of a type indexed free monad votes: 11, answers: 7
- How to model a currencies, money, and banks that exchange money between currencies? votes: 10, answers: 3
- Why are these functions differently evaluated votes: 10, answers: 2
- Why does a more general type affect runtime in Haskell? votes: 10, answers: 2
- List based on right Kan extension votes: 9, answers: 2
- How to inject the result of an IO action into a non-IO monadic computation votes: 9, answers: 3
- Why I get the “class Num a where” instead of the “class (Eq a, Show a) => Num a”? votes: 9, answers: 4
- How to avoid default return value when accessing a non-existent field with lenses? votes: 9, answers: 2
- How much does Haskell/GHC memoize? votes: 9, answers: 1
Until next time,
+Daniel Santa Cruz