Welcome to issue 297 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers from June 8 to 14, 2014
Quotes of the Week
- dpwright: this afternoon I've literally taken an entire (portrait) screen's worth of code and reduced it to about three lines and a few lens operators
- tommd: Haskell is a great language. I needed to test a program under high CPU load, so to burn some cycles I cabal-installed lens. Is there anything Haskell can't do?
- bernalex: I imagine hell as a place where spj & edwardk are holding talks at the same time and I have to choose.
Top Reddit Stories
- Haxl on Github. From (github.com), scored 124 with 25 comments.
- www.dohaskell.com. From (dohaskell.com), scored 92 with 23 comments.
- cloud-haskell is on hackage now. From (hackage.haskell.org), scored 87 with 7 comments.
- Facebook releases Haxl, a library for async data access. From (code.facebook.com), scored 65 with 0 comments.
- The problem with mtl. From (ro-che.info), scored 61 with 58 comments.
- Why programmers can’t make any money: dimensionality and the Eternal Haskell Tax. From (michaelochurch.wordpress.com), scored 56 with 37 comments.
- A Year of Functional Programming. From (japgolly.blogspot.com.au), scored 52 with 17 comments.
- Haskell for all: Spreadsheet-like programming in Haskell. From (haskellforall.com), scored 52 with 26 comments.
- GHC bug squashing at ZuriHac 2014. From (joachim-breitner.de), scored 50 with 0 comments.
- There is no Fork—our ICFP 2014 paper about Haxl. From (community.haskell.org), scored 47 with 4 comments.
- EclipseFP 2.6.0 released. From (jpmoresmau.blogspot.fr), scored 46 with 18 comments.
- Haskell Development Workflow Demo, first video I've made, wanted to see if any found it useful. From (youtube.com), scored 44 with 11 comments.
- Announcement: Bang, a drum machine DSL for Haskell. From (self.haskell), scored 42 with 17 comments.
- How do you learn to write systems in Haskell? (and a story). From (self.haskell), scored 42 with 66 comments.
- ICFP 2014 accepted papers. From (github.com), scored 40 with 3 comments.
- cabal - the simple guide. From (katychuang.com), scored 40 with 16 comments.
- Two failed attempts at extensible effects. From (ro-che.info), scored 37 with 12 comments.
- Follow up blog post: "Understanding the RealWorld": the Haskell heap, function calls, and primitive types.. From (well-typed.com), scored 34 with 12 comments.
- "Why Haskell?" Elevator Pitch. From (self.haskell), scored 33 with 70 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- Why should Applicative be a superclass of Monad? votes: 21, answers: 3
- What do you call the data wrapped inside a monad? votes: 15, answers: 2
- What algorithm is used in Haskell (GHC) for deriving types of recursive expressions? votes: 14, answers: 1
- What container really mimics std::vector in Haskell? votes: 14, answers: 4
- Why the cycle function cannot work with empty list? votes: 14, answers: 2
Until next time,
+Daniel Santa Cruz