Welcome to issue 296 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers from May 25 to June 7, 2014
Quotes of the Week
- mbrock: then you get into a whole thing about the epistemology of abstract algebra, and someone brings up Wittgenstein, somebody brings out a bottle of wine, and it's yet another one of those nights
Top Reddit Stories
- An alternative Haskell home page. From (chrisdone.com), scored 160 with 57 comments.
- Third generation of the attoparsec parsing library. From (serpentine.com), scored 82 with 22 comments.
- Music-Suite. From (music-suite.github.io), scored 81 with 44 comments.
- Erik Meijer: Introduction to Functional Programming. From (edx.org), scored 79 with 11 comments.
- The abject failure of weak typing. From (techblog.realestate.com.au), scored 72 with 28 comments.
- Lazy Dynamic Programming. From (jelv.is), scored 64 with 12 comments.
- First Person 3D Navigation, written in Elm. From (github.com), scored 62 with 0 comments.
- Haskell Platform Redesign. From (self.haskell), scored 57 with 39 comments.
- Benjamin Pierce on clean-slate security architectures. From (intelligence.org), scored 54 with 2 comments.
- Idris 0.9.13 released, featuring a new erasure implementation, Haddock- and Hoogle-inspired tools, and improved IDE support. From (idris-lang.org), scored 53 with 6 comments.
- Brilliant explanation of Free Monad + Interpreter pattern.. From (programmers.stackexchange.com), scored 52 with 16 comments.
- I got lenses in my Functor. From (izbicki.me), scored 52 with 35 comments.
- The GHC Runtime System [pdf]. From (scs.stanford.edu), scored 50 with 15 comments.
- The typeparams library provides a lens-like interface for type level parameters; it allows unboxing unboxed vectors (with benchmarks indicating a 25% performance gain) and supercompilation-like optimizations (with benchmarks showing 40x performance gain in some cases). From (github.com), scored 49 with 14 comments.
- LiquidHaskell: Pointers Gone Wild. From (goto.ucsd.edu), scored 48 with 16 comments.
- Sed implementation in Haskell - Episode 6 [youtube]. From (youtube.com), scored 45 with 5 comments.
- Call Arity [pdf]: A new analysis implemented in GHC. From (joachim-breitner.de), scored 44 with 6 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- Understanding Haskell's Bool Deriving an Ord votes: 17, answers: 2
- Precise flow control in Haskell votes: 14, answers: 0
- Why aren't there existentially quantified type variables in GHC Haskell votes: 14, answers: 2
- Is the concept of an “interleaved homomorphism” a real thing? votes: 14, answers: 3
- Is it possible to get `-=` working with literals? votes: 12, answers: 1
- How much overhead does sparking incur? votes: 11, answers: 1
Until next time,
+Daniel Santa Cruz