Welcome to issue 293 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers from April 20 to 26, 2014
Quotes of the Week
- monochrom: linux's ulimit for main memory will not help because linux kernel's allocator is a lazy yes-man (think irrefutable pattern)
- edwardk: lens is the only library I've ever written that generates hate mail and invites to give talks in almost equal measure
- shachaf: You don't need lens to produce or consume lenses. You just need it to complain about them.
- glguy_: Reddit has shown you don't need to have used the lens package to complain about it, either
Top Reddit Stories
- What I Wish I Knew When Learning Haskell 2.0. From (dev.stephendiehl.com), scored 191 with 37 comments.
- Announcing cabal 1.20. From (blog.johantibell.com), scored 141 with 38 comments.
- Lens is unidiomatic Haskell. From (ro-che.info), scored 124 with 231 comments.
- wreq: a capable new HTTP client library. From (serpentine.com), scored 121 with 128 comments.
- Applicative became a superclass of Monad. From (ghc.haskell.org), scored 94 with 46 comments.
- Open Sourced! Cryptol: A Domain Specific Language for Specifying Cryptographic Algorithms. From (cryptol.net), scored 91 with 7 comments.
- Model-view-controller, Haskell-style. From (haskellforall.com), scored 81 with 55 comments.
- Lenses don't compose backwards.. From (self.haskell), scored 73 with 35 comments.
- 14 Haskell Projects accepted for Google Summer of Code. From (google-melange.com), scored 59 with 28 comments.
- New issue of The Monad Reader (#23). From (themonadreader.wordpress.com), scored 48 with 11 comments.
- Lens from the ground up. From (mth.io), scored 44 with 25 comments.
- Lenses You Can Make at Home. From (duplode.github.io), scored 40 with 17 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- How do experienced Haskell developers approach laziness at *design* time? votes: 26, answers: 1
- Lax monoidal functors with a different monoidal structure votes: 14, answers: 3
- Maximizing Haskell loop performance with GHC votes: 13, answers: 2
- What does it mean that the semantics (of Haskell) are affected by the inferred types (of return type polymorphism)? votes: 12, answers: 2
- Write a parallel array Haskell expression once, run on CPUs & GPUs with repa and accelerate votes: 10, answers: 2
- Best way to save 10 GB vector to disk in Haskell votes: 9, answers: 3
- What is the purpose of the `Typeable (* -> Constraint) Monoid` instance? votes: 9, answers: 1
Until next time,
+Daniel Santa Cruz