Welcome to issue 291 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers from April 6 to 12, 2014
Quotes of the Week
- geekosaur: IO, IO, it's off to (>>=) I go
- edwardk: waiting for sclv to start going around door to door passing out little copies of the homotopy type theory book, and asking people if they have yet had the geometric realization that the simplicial sets are homotopically equivalent to their Lord and Savior.
- carter: i'll leave you in the gentle hands of the rest of the channel
Top Reddit Stories
- GHC 7.8.1 Released. From (haskell.org), scored 226 with 106 comments.
- What To Expect When You're a Platform Library Maintainer. From (permalink.gmane.org), scored 56 with 4 comments.
- Why are we relying on numeric identifiers for dependencies when we have so much richer information available?. From (self.haskell), scored 44 with 18 comments.
- How To Read "Pearls of Functional Algorithm Design". From (atamo.com), scored 41 with 8 comments.
- BayHac '14 Sign-Up and List of Classes. From (self.haskell), scored 40 with 11 comments.
- Is GHC the defacto standard?. From (self.haskell), scored 40 with 39 comments.
- Battleships web game written in Haskell/Yesod. From (www-pg.iai.uni-bonn.de), scored 34 with 15 comments.
- Heartbleed aftermath: should Haskell web frameworks allow using a pure Haskell SSL library instead of OpenSSL?. From (self.haskell), scored 32 with 54 comments.
- BudHac 2014. From (haskell.org), scored 28 with 3 comments.
- Hacking Haskell in nightclubs - video feature on Algorave. From (motherboard.vice.com), scored 27 with 2 comments.
- A brief introduction to ConstraintKinds extension (Wolfgang Jeltsch). From (jeltsch.wordpress.com), scored 27 with 4 comments.
- Generating Mazes with Inductive Graphs. From (jelv.is), scored 26 with 11 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- Why MonadPlus and not Monad + Monoid? votes: 18, answers: 2
- Can a pure function have free variables? votes: 11, answers: 3
- FRP - Event streams and Signals - what is lost in using just signals? votes: 10, answers: 4
- Is there a way to make GHC provide the type class constraints of typed holes? votes: 9, answers: 0
- Where are the magic rules for GHC assert? votes: 8, answers: 1
- Using Haskell ranges: Why would mapping a floating point function across a range cause it to return an extra element? votes: 7, answers: 1
- Why Haskell's Data.List.deleteBy takes in input a comparison function (a -> a -> Bool) and a value instead of a predicate (a -> Bool)? votes: 6, answers: 1
Until next time,
+Daniel Santa Cruz