Welcome to issue 283 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the week of October 06 to 12, 2013.
Quotes of the Week
- elliott: haskell programs allocate a lot because they can't do much else
- spj: [on pointfree style] It has a certain eccentric charm all of its own.
- acowley: When we pick a random number, we stick to it.
Top Reddit Stories
- Simon Peyton Jones on Lenses at the Haskell eXchange - Skillscast now available!. From (skillsmatter.com), scored 127 with 107 comments.
- Why I don’t like the lens library. From (fvisser.nl), scored 99 with 104 comments.
- Cartesian Closed Comic #23: Picking a lens library. From (ro-che.info), scored 85 with 8 comments.
- The core flaw of pipes and conduit. From (yesodweb.com), scored 45 with 101 comments.
- How to reimplement the conduit parsing API in pipes. From (haskellforall.com), scored 43 with 16 comments.
- pipes resource problems. From (yesodweb.com), scored 40 with 74 comments.
- Beginners cheatsheet to the lens library. From (haskell.org), scored 40 with 59 comments.
- Demo: Ariadne, go-to-definition for Haskell. From (youtube.com), scored 39 with 35 comments.
- Do Extraterrestrials Use Functional Programming?. From (justtesting.org), scored 39 with 39 comments.
- Haskell for all: Manual proofs for the `pipes` laws. From (haskellforall.com), scored 37 with 55 comments.
- Unique PDFs linked in #haskell. From (ircbrowse.net), scored 36 with 13 comments.
- Andres Löh on free monads. From (skillsmatter.com), scored 36 with 15 comments.
- Simpler conduit core (aka part 3 of 3). From (fpcomplete.com), scored 36 with 23 comments.
- Proposal for Applicative do-notation. From (ghc.haskell.org), scored 36 with 50 comments.
- So I (kind of) made a Haskell clone of the business card Ray Tracer. From (github.com), scored 35 with 14 comments.
- Call to Action - Fay FFI Bindings for AngularJS. From (haskell.org), scored 35 with 16 comments.
- The Haxl project at Facebook: concise, efficient access to diverse data sources. From (skillsmatter.com), scored 34 with 9 comments.
- Rethinking Supercompilation [PDF]. From (community.haskell.org), scored 34 with 17 comments.
- Musings on Lens. From (gist.io), scored 31 with 9 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- Functions of possibly cyclic data structures votes: 12, answers: 1
- How can I improve my understanding of the Haskell Type system? votes: 11, answers: 2
- Haskell: how to tell hlint not to: `Warning: Use string literal` votes: 7, answers: 1
- How are uncurry and fanin related in category theory? votes: 7, answers: 1
- Haskell Iterate over 2d list, filter, output 1d list votes: 7, answers: 6
- Haskell why does “Num x” require “Show x”? votes: 7, answers: 3
- How to avoid creating an orphan FromJSON instance for Data.Tree votes: 7, answers: 1
- State Monad with multiple state values votes: 6, answers: 3
- Difference between Print and putStrLn in Haskell votes: 6, answers: 2
Until next time,
+Daniel Santa Cruz