Welcome to issue 284 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the week of October 13 to 19, 2013.
Quotes of the Week
- Polarina: Once you get something with [lens] to work correctly, all other Haskell code looks like C++ in comparison.
Top Reddit Stories
- The GHC October status report - a nice summary of what to expect from 7.8. From (ghc.haskell.org), scored 106 with 51 comments.
- Haskell for all: An all-atom protein search engine powered by Haskell. From (haskellforall.com), scored 84 with 51 comments.
- FSF - Recognizing an inspiring woman for Ada Lovelace Day: Haskell/Perl hacker Audrey Tang. From (fsf.org), scored 82 with 15 comments.
- Automatic SIMD Vectorization for Haskell and ICFP 2013. From (dorchard.wordpress.com), scored 50 with 3 comments.
- A Little Lens Starter Tutorial - School of Haskell. From (fpcomplete.com), scored 49 with 43 comments.
- Abstractions for the Functional Roboticist with Anthony Cowley at NY Haskell. From (vimeo.com), scored 43 with 13 comments.
- The "magic" of "join (,)". From (self.haskell), scored 42 with 18 comments.
- A Taste of Agda with Francesco Mazzoli at NY Haskell. From (vimeo.com), scored 41 with 15 comments.
- [Demo movie] Ajhc Haskell compiler can create Haskell Apps running on Android NDK!. From (youtube.com), scored 36 with 22 comments.
- Open question: help me design a new encoding API for aeson. From (serpentine.com), scored 31 with 30 comments.
- Made some Haskell Wallpapers, thought I'd share. From (imgur.com), scored 30 with 27 comments.
- How to use Travis-CI with multiple GHC versions. From (github.com), scored 30 with 6 comments.
- A Gentle Introduction to Parsec. From (blog.barrucadu.co.uk), scored 29 with 1 comments.
- Haskell.org committee is looking for self-nominations. From (haskell.org), scored 28 with 2 comments.
- Backpropogation, Steepest Descent, and Automatic Differentiation. From (idontgetoutmuch.wordpress.com), scored 23 with 22 comments.
- Anonymous records. A solution to the problems of record-system.. From (gist.github.com), scored 22 with 24 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- Is there a canonical haskell type for “One or Both”? votes: 15, answers: 3
- Show progress of Haskell program votes: 14, answers: 4
- Does Data.ByteString.readFile block all threads? votes: 13, answers: 3
- Am I abusing unsafePerformIO? votes: 11, answers: 3
- Simulating a spring/damper system in Yampa votes: 9, answers: 1
Until next time,
+Daniel Santa Cruz