Welcome to issue 282 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the week of September 22 to October 05, 2013.
Quotes of the Week
- monochrom: . o O ( error messages are like legalese. it contains complete information so that later lawyers can say "told you so" )
- BetaZiliani: "We escape from monads in the same way that we escape from a building on fire: we run." (#ICFP2013)
- ReinH: ReinH's Lemma: There's always a connection to Yoneda's Lemma.
- startling: it's sort of depressing when you spend a lot of time with traversals and things to get all your crucial algorithms down to like ten lines and then have like two hundred lines each for pretty-printing and for file I/O.
- edwardk: you know that feeling when you wake up in the morning, and your teeth feel fuzzy, you don't know where you've been, but you strongly suspect in 9 months someone will be calling you for library support?
- tac: I free the forgotten.
- Anonymous: What do you call someone reading a book about category theory? A co-author!
- Anonymous: A co-worker == generator of work tasks?
- edwardkmett: At one point we had a type in lens where one of its arguments started taking parameters of the form i m a s t a b u. Upon reflection, we let it win the argument and decided not to implement the function.
Top Reddit Stories
- xkcd - Functional Programming. From (xkcd.com), scored 97 with 58 comments.
- Hackage 2 is up!. From (hackage.haskell.org), scored 96 with 20 comments.
- Programming - Why Haskell is Great - 10 minutes. From (youtube.com), scored 91 with 18 comments.
- GHC: now with -j flag for parallel builds. From (ghc.haskell.org), scored 88 with 27 comments.
- I can finally say that I'm a Haskell developer (and I'm hiring)!. From (self.haskell), scored 85 with 42 comments.
- Hackage 2 switchover imminent. From (haskell.org), scored 80 with 14 comments.
- The Haskell Cast #2 - Don Stewart on Real World Haskell. From (haskellcast.com), scored 72 with 11 comments.
- [ANN] Nomyx, the game where you can change the rules (0.3 beta). From (nomyx.net), scored 57 with 14 comments.
- The aftermath of my GSoC project. From (self.haskell), scored 55 with 6 comments.
- SPJ in need for compelling "lens" use-cases. From (permalink.gmane.org), scored 51 with 57 comments.
- Tidal cycles - loops and rhythms made with tweet sized Haskell. From (twitter.com), scored 50 with 5 comments.
- Who'd have thought: I made a serial monitor with Threepenny-gui. From (self.haskell), scored 48 with 14 comments.
- Arrowised Material Shaders in Purely Functional Ray Tracing. From (tcsavage.org), scored 44 with 2 comments.
- Work at Erudify. From (jaspervdj.be), scored 42 with 5 comments.
- The Universal Properties of Map, Fold, and Filter. From (jeremykun.com), scored 41 with 0 comments.
- Conal Elliott : Searching for GUI and Graphics libraries in Haskell. From (haskell.org), scored 39 with 29 comments.
- Type level record syntax... would this make sense?. From (self.haskell), scored 39 with 29 comments.
- Haskell Resources List. From (gist.github.com), scored 38 with 2 comments.
- [ANN] yi-0.7. From (haskell.org), scored 38 with 14 comments.
- Why PVP doesn't work. From (ro-che.info), scored 38 with 106 comments.
- Live blog of CUFP 2013 -- a prodigious and growing work of reporting by Anil Madhavapeddy. From (syslog.cl.cam.ac.uk), scored 35 with 0 comments.
- What Haskell tools do you use in every project?. From (self.haskell), scored 35 with 22 comments.
- GHC Core by example, episode 2: Evaluation. From (alpmestan.com), scored 35 with 3 comments.
- Oh my laziness! - An introduction to laziness, strictness and unpacking in GHC Haskell. From (alpmestan.com), scored 35 with 16 comments.
- Job opportunity for junior web developer looking to get into Haskell. From (self.haskell), scored 35 with 11 comments.
- Short vlog style video "My Road to Haskell" by jekor. From (youtube.com), scored 33 with 1 comments.
- Arguing against monad transformers for the right reasons. From (blog.ezyang.com), scored 32 with 20 comments.
- Haskell Launchpad Interaction. From (youtube.com), scored 32 with 18 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- Sets, Functors and Eq confusion votes: 36, answers: 3
- writing a C# version of haskell infinite fibonacci series function votes: 12, answers: 5
- Enforced pattern order votes: 10, answers: 5
- Haskell, multiplying Int and Float within a function votes: 10, answers: 4
- What requirements does non-strict semantics of Haskell have on the evaluation strategy? votes: 9, answers: 1
- Random access on a huge file in haskell votes: 8, answers: 3
- Not using a variable for <- votes: 8, answers: 4
- A common pattern involving composition of functions (\a b -> f (g a) (g b)) votes: 8, answers: 2
- Haskell data :> constructor meaning votes: 8, answers: 1
- In functional reactive programming, how do you share state between two parts of the application? votes: 7, answers: 1
Until next time,
+Daniel Santa Cruz