Welcome to issue 281 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the week of September 15 to 21, 2013.
Quotes of the Week
- jmcarthur: weak algebraic structures? ha! i prefer my algebraic structures to put up more of a fight.
- newsham: teach a man to pred and he will pred to zero. teach a man to succ and he will succ forever
Top Reddit Stories
- Edward C++Hands. From (bartoszmilewski.com), scored 83 with 102 comments.
- Perfect streaming using `pipes-bytestring`. From (haskellforall.com), scored 59 with 45 comments.
- Adding safe coercions to Haskell. From (joachim-breitner.de), scored 58 with 23 comments.
- Which programming languages do you like besides Haskell, and why?. From (self.haskell), scored 55 with 104 comments.
- GHC HEAD: merged checkable "minimal complete definitions" (#7633). From (ghc.haskell.org), scored 48 with 36 comments.
- Do companies ever hire someone who has no Haskell experience to be a Haskell programmer? If I pursue such a job, how important would a personal Haskell project be?. From (self.haskell), scored 44 with 50 comments.
- [Haskell-cafe] PSA: do not install xcode 5 if you are using ghc 7.6. From (haskell.org), scored 43 with 4 comments.
- Model Analysis - The New York Times’ Erik Hinton breaks down a Fashion Week special. From (source.mozillaopennews.org), scored 40 with 4 comments.
- Programming reactively with both barrels (experiences of Haskell/FRP for mobile games). From (blog.reactiveprogramming.org), scored 39 with 7 comments.
- Why monads have not taken the Common Lisp world by storm [r/lisp]. From (reddit.com), scored 33 with 14 comments.
- 13,000 readers. From (self.haskell), scored 28 with 11 comments.
- A type for IO actions that do not throw exceptions. From (self.haskell), scored 25 with 49 comments.
- ANN: Scotty 0.5.0 Released. From (github.com), scored 24 with 15 comments.
- Haskell version freezing. From (blog.docmunch.com), scored 23 with 8 comments.
- PHOAS For Free by Edward Kmett. From (fpcomplete.com), scored 21 with 8 comments.
- Cellular Automata, Part III by Edward Kmett. From (fpcomplete.com), scored 20 with 0 comments.
- Translating Haskell programs to Coq [/Gallina] programs. From (github.com), scored 20 with 2 comments.
- ANN: pipes-csv: a fast, streaming csv parser based on cassava and pipes. From (github.com), scored 20 with 9 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- What does the “Just” syntax mean in Haskell? votes: 12, answers: 4
- How can I understand “:t ((==) <*>)” in haskell? votes: 10, answers: 1
- why polymorphism is so costly in haskell(GHC)? votes: 10, answers: 3
- Break and continue in GHCi debugger without use of breakpoints votes: 9, answers: 0
- Why is there no `-XDeriveApplicative` extension? votes: 8, answers: 1
- Downsides to ScopedTypeVariables votes: 7, answers: 2
- Haskell design encompassing several monads votes: 7, answers: 1
- How to correct my OOP tendencies when programming in Haksell votes: 7, answers: 3
- composing functions with higher arity votes: 7, answers: 5
- Why are Haskell Maps implemented as balanced binary trees instead of traditional hashtables? votes: 7, answers: 3
Until next time,
+Daniel Santa Cruz