Welcome to issue 280 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the week of September 8 to 14, 2013.
Quotes of the Week
- haasn: edwardk uses things in anger. shachaf uses them with disappointment :(
- shachaf: Are you reading Mac Lane now? Saizan: yeah, it's not so bad if you skip the examples
Top Reddit Stories
- For my 17th birthday, my best friend got me "The most obscure programming book I could find" as a joke. I know what language I am learning next!. From (i.imgur.com), scored 163 with 67 comments.
- pipes-4.0: Simpler types and API. From (haskellforall.com), scored 95 with 36 comments.
- Hackage 2 now available for beta testing -- switchover in a few weeks. From (beta.hackage.haskell.org), scored 91 with 17 comments.
- Cartesian Closed Comic #22: Cabal 1.18. From (ro-che.info), scored 90 with 3 comments.
- Parallel and Incremental CRCs by Edward Kmett. From (fpcomplete.com), scored 58 with 7 comments.
- Conquering Folds by Edward Kmett. From (fpcomplete.com), scored 47 with 42 comments.
- Conal Elliot: From Haskell to hardware via cartesian closed categories. From (conal.net), scored 47 with 3 comments.
- FP Complete to release a personal edition of their online IDE. From (fpcomplete.com), scored 39 with 38 comments.
- Quark : A Web Browser with a Formally Verified Kernel. From (goto.ucsd.edu), scored 36 with 6 comments.
- My first Haskell program - FNIStash - a utility for Torchlight 2 using threepenny for the GUI. From (fluffynukeit.com), scored 36 with 19 comments.
- Conal Elliott: Overloading lambda. From (conal.net), scored 34 with 4 comments.
- Cost semantics for STG in modern GHC. From (blog.ezyang.com), scored 31 with 5 comments.
- 0install - Python vs. OCaml vs. Haskell. From (roscidus.com), scored 31 with 23 comments.
- LogicGrowsOnTrees: a parallel implementation of logic programming using distributed tree exploration. From (github.com), scored 31 with 9 comments.
- RSS reader made by Haskell running on mbed platform (RAM size 64kB, using Ajhc Haskell compiler).. From (youtube.com), scored 30 with 5 comments.
- Conal Elliott: Optimizing CCCs. From (conal.net), scored 30 with 12 comments.
- Snap (and Heist) 0.13 released. From (snapframework.com), scored 29 with 7 comments.
- ANN: threepenny-gui-0.3 – GUI framework that uses the web browser as a display – now with FRP built-in. From (apfelmus.nfshost.com), scored 28 with 8 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- In Haskell, where does the range ['a'..] stop? votes: 20, answers: 2
- Why were Haskell 98's standard classes made inferior to Haskell 1.3's? votes: 18, answers: 1
- 27 different Bool to Bool values in Haskell votes: 14, answers: 1
- How to reconstruct Haskell expression from type votes: 10, answers: 1
- Can links to anchors in haddock be labeled? votes: 8, answers: 0
- How to convert between ByteString and Storable Vector? votes: 7, answers: 1
- Why is not GHC optimizing for constants? votes: 7, answers: 2
- newtype around ST causes type error votes: 7, answers: 1
- GHC does not generate a binary despite no errors shown votes: 6, answers: 1
Until next time,
+Daniel Santa Cruz