Welcome to issue 275 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the week of July 28 to August 3, 2013.
Quotes of the Week
- littlecalculist: combinatorics. n. math's way of punishing you for failing to use abstraction.
- dmwit: ?let instance Num Bool where (+) = (/=); (*) = (&&); negate = id; abs = id; signum = id; fromInteger = odd
- edwardk: clearly it should be \x -> x <$ do f . g $ x. do is a magical () killing machine
- dmwit: Type families are not injective. Your first three inscrutable error messages with type families in them will be because you don't understand this rule.
- elliott: halting problem, n. the property which makes stating anything about programs impossible, according to at least one person in any room
- carmack: Everything that is syntactically legal that the compiler will accept will eventually wind up in your codebase.
Top Reddit Stories
- John Carmack talking at length about Haskell in his QuakeCon Keynote speech (live). From (twitch.tv), scored 105 with 47 comments.
- SPJ: GHC's Glorious future. From (haskell.org), scored 79 with 16 comments.
- There's a massive gap between the "average" and "expert" Haskeller. How do I bridge that gap?. From (self.haskell), scored 73 with 53 comments.
- Getting Started With GHC Hacking. From (dagit.github.io), scored 64 with 2 comments.
- Extensible Effects: An Alternative to Monad Transformers. From (cs.indiana.edu), scored 63 with 47 comments.
- The Intel Labs Haskell Research Compiler [pdf]. From (leafpetersen.com), scored 55 with 19 comments.
- Goto in Haskell. From (self.haskell), scored 36 with 34 comments.
- The Algebra of Algebraic Data Type. From (chris-taylor.github.io), scored 35 with 3 comments.
- Functors and monads for analyzing data. From (izbicki.me), scored 32 with 16 comments.
- Why use _ <-?. From (self.haskell), scored 31 with 24 comments.
- CIS 194: Introduction to Haskell (Spring 2013). From (cis.upenn.edu), scored 30 with 3 comments.
- The Commutative monad. From (gelisam.blogspot.ca), scored 30 with 41 comments.
- FRP GUI - reactive-banana + threepenny-gui = awesome. From (apfelmus.nfshost.com), scored 30 with 11 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- Monad Stack Penetration Classes with Free/Operational Monad Transformers? votes: 16, answers: 1
- Haskell reexport everything votes: 12, answers: 1
- What are the main differences between Scala and Frege (in programming paradigms)? votes: 11, answers: 2
- If a thunk results in an exception, is the exception kept as the result of the thunk? votes: 10, answers: 1
- Check if import is redundant votes: 9, answers: 1
- Haskell Parser Combinators votes: 9, answers: 1
- A library implementation of a recursion scheme votes: 8, answers: 1
Until next time,
+Daniel Santa Cruz