Welcome to issue 274 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the week of July 14 to 27, 2013.
Quotes of the Week
- knuth: To help the reader drowning in a sea of abstraction, the following example may serve as a concrete life preserver
From the mail bag
Top Reddit Stories
- Parallel and Concurrent Programming in Haskell available now in ebook formats, print version can be preordered. From (shop.oreilly.com), scored 94 with 14 comments.
- Lenses in pictures. From (adit.io), scored 84 with 51 comments.
- Monads made difficult. From (stephendiehl.com), scored 70 with 11 comments.
- Helm - FRP Game Engine Inspired by Elm. From (github.com), scored 67 with 19 comments.
- Ian Lynagh leaves GHC HQ. From (haskell.org), scored 64 with 4 comments.
- Yesod in Production. From (joelt.io), scored 61 with 13 comments.
- A Comparison Between Perl and Haskell. From (ocharles.org.uk), scored 60 with 22 comments.
- Backpack: Retrofitting Haskell with Interfaces (Kilpatrick, Dreyer, SPJ, Marlow) [link to pdf]. From (mpi-sws.org), scored 58 with 63 comments.
- Parallel and Concurrent Programming in Haskell (online version, part of Atlas beta). From (chimera.labs.oreilly.com), scored 56 with 35 comments.
- Why Haskell at School matters. From (sawafaso.blogspot.com.ar), scored 52 with 18 comments.
- Measuring the Haskell Gap :: PDF. From (leafpetersen.com), scored 49 with 13 comments.
- Automatic SIMD Vectorization for Haskell - by Leaf Petersen, Dominic Orchard and Neal Glew [ICFP13][PDF]. From (leafpetersen.com), scored 47 with 13 comments.
- IRC Browse. From (chrisdone.com), scored 43 with 12 comments.
- How to Help Develop Hackage2. From (self.haskell), scored 40 with 46 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- Can someone explain to me why the app function of ArrowApply makes them as powerful as monads? votes: 13, answers: 2
- Haskell newtype with parentheses votes: 12, answers: 2
- GHC: insert compilation date votes: 11, answers: 2
- How can Haskell function guards operate on other values than the functions parameters? votes: 10, answers: 2
- Can Haskell functions be serialized? votes: 10, answers: 3
- Calling Haskell library from C++ votes: 10, answers: 1
- Debugging compile time performance issues caused by GHC's constraint solver votes: 10, answers: 1
- Haskell performance when using classes and instances votes: 10, answers: 2
- Could not deduce (m ~ m1) votes: 9, answers: 1
- Running a subexpression once votes: 9, answers: 2
Until next time,
+Daniel Santa Cruz