Welcome to issue 273 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the week of June 30 to July 13, 2013.
Quotes of the Week
- monochrom: 8-bit word uses less memory, but if it doesn't have to preserve information, I know how to use 0 bits of memory.
- byorgey: you know, servers migrate in the summer to their ancestral breeding grounds
- emeijer: It must me said on the other hand compiler writers seem to ignore the existence of formal semantics completely, probably because they don't like greek letters.
- byorgey: now we have the pig operator <^(++)^> as well as the robot monkey operator (:)
- chrisdone: i remember when the internet was black and white and you had to upload web pages back onto the internet when you were done with them
- raganwald: Immuteability: The property of functional programmers that prevents them from shutting up about pure functional programming.
Top Reddit Stories
- On taking the last n elements of a list. From (joachim-breitner.de), scored 69 with 37 comments.
- Comonads are NOT objects. From (gelisam.blogspot.ca), scored 62 with 50 comments.
- ANNOUNCE: Haste, the Haskell to JS compiler, is now on Hackage. From (hackage.haskell.org), scored 60 with 27 comments.
- Postmodern Haskell and OpenGL: Introducing vinyl-gl. From (arcadianvisions.com), scored 57 with 6 comments.
- ANNOUNCE: haskell-mode 13.07 (& Survey). From (projects.haskell.org), scored 49 with 18 comments.
- Why the world needs Haskell. From (devalot.com), scored 46 with 22 comments.
- Cartesian Closed Comic #20: Weird language. From (ro-che.info), scored 42 with 10 comments.
- Do naming practices hurt Haskell?. From (self.haskell), scored 38 with 222 comments.
- ANNOUNCE: http://hackage.haskell.org/package/GLFW-b-1.0.0. From (self.haskell), scored 37 with 18 comments.
- Skills Matter : In The Brain of Edsko de Vries: Lazy I/O and Alternatives in Haskell. From (skillsmatter.com), scored 37 with 14 comments.
- Attoparsec tutorial - School of Haskell. From (fpcomplete.com), scored 35 with 17 comments.
- FP Haskell Center Beta Released and Beta Accounts Activated. From (fpcomplete.com), scored 33 with 7 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- What advantage does Monad give us over an Applicative? votes: 17, answers: 7
- Encoding “Less Than” with Haskell votes: 11, answers: 1
- Why is factorial calculation much faster in Haskell than in Java votes: 11, answers: 5
- Haskell: Can typeclasses define types (ala type traits) votes: 10, answers: 2
- C++ and Haskell codes differs in execution time on different machines votes: 10, answers: 1
- GHC.Generics or Data.Data? votes: 10, answers: 1
- Constraint subset higher-order constraint votes: 9, answers: 1
- How to make catamorphisms work with parameterized/indexed types? votes: 9, answers: 2
- How to “change” single values in large objects in elegant way? votes: 9, answers: 1
- What programming languages have something like Haskell’s `newtype` votes: 9, answers: 4
- Implementing a zipper for length-indexed lists votes: 8, answers: 1
- Does Haskell concatenate String literals at compile time? votes: 8, answers: 4
- Combining lenses votes: 8, answers: 2
Until next time,
+Daniel Santa Cruz