Welcome to issue 272 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the week of June 23 to 29, 2013.
Quotes of the Week
- kmc: johnw: I'm rejoining this channel after months away just to tell you how incredibly wrong you are that monads are the "core concept" of Haskell
- dmwit: semigroups are monoids with an identity crisis
- olsner: I think doing eta something means to make it more or less pointless. But I don't recall which eta does what
- mm_freak: Oleg knows what's at the end of foldr f z [1..].
- copumpkin: it's like grasping desperately for the rope of induction as you fall down the bottomless pit of coinduction
Top Reddit Stories
- From zero to cooperative threads in 33 lines of Haskell code. From (haskellforall.com), scored 78 with 39 comments.
- RSS reader written in Haskell and Ur/Web. From (bazqux.com), scored 66 with 38 comments.
- FP Haskell Center -- full video demo -- app development, automatic deployment, Git and GitHub integration. From (youtube.com), scored 64 with 68 comments.
- Building LLVM using Shake. From (neilmitchell.blogspot.ca), scored 54 with 6 comments.
- Hasochism: The Pleasure and Pain of Dependently Typed Haskell Programming [pdf]. From (personal.cis.strath.ac.uk), scored 52 with 8 comments.
- GHC Core by example, episode 1 - Hello Core!. From (alpmestan.com), scored 46 with 3 comments.
- HPCwire: Lustre Founder Spots Haskell on HPC Horizon. From (hpcwire.com), scored 36 with 2 comments.
- Adventures in Three Monads - Logic, Prompt, Failure. From (web.mit.edu), scored 33 with 8 comments.
- Darcs' source code is some of the cleanest Haskell I've read in a while. From (github.com), scored 32 with 13 comments.
- I accidentally the entire heap: debugging Haskell programs with space leaks. From (bitba.se), scored 32 with 6 comments.
- GHCJS introduction – Concurrent Haskell in the browser. From (weblog.luite.com), scored 30 with 4 comments.
- Functional Reactive Web Interfaces with GHCJS and sodium. From (weblog.luite.com), scored 29 with 12 comments.
- Who Ya Gonna Call? Getting Dirty with Cmm, the GHC backend, and writing new PrimOps with Carter Schonwald (at NY-Haskell). From (vimeo.com), scored 26 with 14 comments.
- "Business system" using functional programming?. From (self.haskell), scored 24 with 44 comments.
- The Resource Applicative. From (haskellforall.com), scored 23 with 16 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- What's the conceptual difference between Machines and Conduits (or other similar libraries)? votes: 13, answers: 1
- “inject” progress logging/tracing in haskell computation? votes: 13, answers: 2
- Difference between free monads and fixpoints of functors? votes: 12, answers: 0
- Can Haskell optimize function calls the same way Clang / GCC does? votes: 12, answers: 3
- Trying to figure out `random` function in Haskell votes: 10, answers: 3
- What does !( ) means in data constructor? votes: 9, answers: 2
- Anything prevents optimizing tail-recursion? votes: 9, answers: 1
- Where can I find a good introduction to Haskell optimization passes? votes: 9, answers: 1
- Passing void * through haskell votes: 9, answers: 1
- Call main function with arguments votes: 9, answers: 2
Until next time,
+Daniel Santa Cruz