Welcome to issue 271 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the week of June 9 to 11, 2013.
Quotes of the Week
- cmccann: also please note that "malign" remains one of my best function names ever
- dolio: Peak file descriptors is a myth.
- mami: i think my brain rewired for higher typesystem compatibility in my sleep
- elliott: it's impure but only depending on the environment! which is to say it is impure.
- johnw: lens makes one into a mutating ninja
- applicativ: een my language we say Z for one
- DavidJacobs: Code is like poetry; most of it shouldn't have been written.
- merijn: If I could program with arbitrary real world side effects I'd use "unsafeStabComputerUser" if someone attempted that
- shachaf: Hackage going down regularly is part of the rustic charm of Haskell!
- chrisdone: [on being invited to help with idris development] dude i've already got 20 yaks lined up waiting to be shaved, don't send me a whole truck full
- shachaf: edwardk isn't benevolent or malevolent. edwardk is more of a simple mechanical process tending toward maximal complexity.
- AndrejBauer: When have you ever heard a category theorist say: I want to prove this diagram commutes—Let's suppose it doesn't.
Top Reddit Stories
- Applicative => Monad is coming.. From (haskell.org), scored 122 with 62 comments.
- The Homotopy Type Theory Book is now available for free online and in print at Lulu.com. From (homotopytypetheory.org), scored 86 with 16 comments.
- Three useful monads. From (adit.io), scored 71 with 25 comments.
- Beta sign up for FP Complete new IDE. From (fpcomplete.com), scored 63 with 11 comments.
- HLearn implements more with 6 trivial lines of Haskell than Weka implements with over 100 complex lines of Java. From (izbicki.me), scored 47 with 9 comments.
- Top secret School of Haskell articles leaked. From (self.haskell), scored 47 with 17 comments.
- F-algebra tutorial. From (fpcomplete.com), scored 41 with 35 comments.
- John Carmack on haskell today.. From (self.haskell), scored 40 with 79 comments.
- Data Flow Fusion with Series Expressions in Haskell. From (justtesting.org), scored 40 with 19 comments.
- So you still don't understand Hindley-Milner? Part 1. From (akgupta.ca), scored 38 with 0 comments.
- Ask HN: Any downsides of programming in Haskell?. From (news.ycombinator.com), scored 36 with 104 comments.
- FP Complete - Haskell Introduction. From (youtube.com), scored 36 with 12 comments.
- Fix your posture with haskell. From (github.com), scored 35 with 2 comments.
- preprint list for ICFP'13 papers (additional links welcome). From (github.com), scored 34 with 9 comments.
- GHC: now with closed type families. From (github.com), scored 34 with 15 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- How to compare two functions for equivalence, as in (λx.2*x) == (λx.x+x)? votes: 15, answers: 2
- Should I use typeclasses or not? votes: 15, answers: 2
- Is there something like `map2 :: (i -> a) -> (i -> b) -> [i] -> [(a,b)]`? votes: 11, answers: 2
- Why isn't GeneralizedNewtypeDeriving a Safe Haskell? votes: 11, answers: 1
- It's not a monad, but what is it? votes: 10, answers: 0
- Writing efficient iterative loop for ST monad votes: 10, answers: 0
- Getting multiple results from map with “lens” votes: 10, answers: 2
- How to run Frege programs on Android? votes: 10, answers: 2
- Are there problems that can't be solved efficiently without arrays? [duplicate] votes: 9, answers: 0
- Haskell: How to organize a group of functions that all take the same arguments votes: 9, answers: 4
Until next time,
+Daniel Santa Cruz