Welcome to issue 270 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the week of June 2 to 8, 2013.
Quotes of the Week
- shachaf: getLine :: IO String contains a String in the same way /bin/ls contains a list of files.
Top Reddit Stories
- Haskell's HLearn library cross-validates more than 400x faster than Java's Weka due to new monoid based algorithm. From (izbicki.me), scored 86 with 13 comments.
- FP Complete Launches Haskell in Real World Competition with $1,000 Cash Prize Each Month. From (fpcomplete.com), scored 80 with 10 comments.
- So I write compilers for a living now. From (evincarofautumn.blogspot.it), scored 76 with 69 comments.
- Haskell for all: pipes-parse-1.0.0: Pushback, delimited parsers, resumable parsing, and lenses. From (haskellforall.com), scored 55 with 77 comments.
- "Thank you to the Haskell community for encouraging programmers to explore the relationship between algebra and programming." -- My accepted paper at the International Conference of Machine Learning (ICML13). From (jmlr.org), scored 54 with 3 comments.
- GHCJS introduction – Concurrent Haskell in the browser, by Luite Stegeman. From (weblog.luite.com), scored 54 with 27 comments.
- Haskell from C: Where are the for Loops?. From (fpcomplete.com), scored 46 with 28 comments.
- fficxx - FFI to C++ in Haskell. From (ianwookim.org), scored 45 with 12 comments.
- Control.Category: now with kind polymorphism. From (neocontra.blogspot.com), scored 42 with 7 comments.
- Pixel art editor in 600 lines of Haskell. From (github.com), scored 39 with 5 comments.
- Haskell for all: pipes-concurrency-1.2.0: Behaviors and broadcasts. From (haskellforall.com), scored 35 with 35 comments.
- Mastermind in Agda, Running in the Browser. From (people.inf.elte.hu), scored 28 with 0 comments.
- Bittoll: A bitcoin transaction system written in Haskell.. From (bittoll.com), scored 25 with 13 comments.
- standalone-haddock: host your Haskell documentation on your website. From (feuerbach.github.io), scored 22 with 7 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- What is () in Haskell, exactly? votes: 18, answers: 4
- Haskell pre-monadic I/O votes: 15, answers: 1
- Display function types in Haskell votes: 12, answers: 1
- Haskell Pattern Matching Fails on Negative Number votes: 12, answers: 2
- Debugging performance bottlenecks for longest common subsequence algorithm votes: 11, answers: 1
- What is a shrink, with regard to Haskell's QuickCheck? votes: 11, answers: 2
- Cross module optimizations in GHC votes: 10, answers: 1
- Functional composition with multi-valued functions in haskell? votes: 9, answers: 3
- A more succinct way to map functions onto fields of an algebraic datatype? votes: 9, answers: 1
- What's the history behind the Functor type class? votes: 8, answers: 1
Until next time,
+Daniel Santa Cruz