Welcome to issue 265 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the week of March 31 to April 6, 2013.
Quotes of the Week
- Jafet: Haskell is an abstract research language used only in academia, education, banking, stock trading, circuit design, embedded systems, cryptography, operating systems research, bioinformatics, phone apps, and web services.
- monochrom: primop is where the turtle tower ends and the russian dolls begin!
- sclv: haha. i love this stuff but if i bury myself in it my head will start spinning around like exorcist and i will start spitting blood
Top Reddit Stories
- Haskell beats C using generalised stream fusion - Geoff Mainland, Simon Peyton Jones, Simon Marlow, Roman Leshchinskiy. Submitted to ICFP 2013 [PDF]. From (research.microsoft.com), scored 106 with 47 comments.
- Functor is now a superclass of Monad in GHC HEAD. From (darcs.haskell.org), scored 87 with 33 comments.
- Yet Another Lambda Blog » Haskell as fast as C: A case study. From (lambda.jstolarek.com), scored 61 with 25 comments.
- Beautiful Concurrency - a series of articles by Simon Peyton-Jones - on FP Complete School of Haskell. From (fpcomplete.com), scored 60 with 20 comments.
- Web Woes for Haskell. From (self.haskell), scored 43 with 42 comments.
- Cap'n Proto: faster protocol buffers, written in Haskell & C++. From (kentonv.github.com), scored 42 with 11 comments.
- Resource limits for Haskell. From (blog.ezyang.com), scored 38 with 1 comments.
- Dependent Types - A New Paradigm? by Paul Callaghan. From (pragprog.com), scored 33 with 1 comments.
- So I accidentally a profunctors tutorial. From (fpcomplete.com), scored 31 with 43 comments.
- UPenn CIS 194: Intro to Haskell, Instructor: Brent Yorgey. From (seas.upenn.edu), scored 31 with 4 comments.
- Sorting with Agda. From (mazzo.li), scored 30 with 33 comments.
- Announcing The Pragmatic Haskeller. From (cakesolutions.net), scored 29 with 7 comments.
- Flavours of free applicative functors. From (ro-che.info), scored 27 with 6 comments.
- Free Applicative Functors (ICFP submission). From (paolocapriotti.com), scored 25 with 11 comments.
- Handling out of memory?. From (self.haskell), scored 25 with 17 comments.
- hydra-print - visualizing multiple texts streams. From (parfunk.blogspot.se), scored 24 with 7 comments.
- Lazy IO breaks equational reasoning. From (okmij.org), scored 24 with 124 comments.
- Haskell on Windows. From (gundersen.net), scored 23 with 14 comments.
- Constrained Monads (GADTs indexed by Constraint). From (ittc.ku.edu), scored 21 with 7 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- Simple examples to illustrate Category, Monoid and Monad? votes: 28, answers: 1
- Which techniques have contributed the most to Haskell's improving performance? [closed] votes: 18, answers: 1
- Why does Parsec not use Control.Applicative operators votes: 13, answers: 1
- ghc 7.4.2, Dynamically calling modules votes: 10, answers: 1
- What's wrong with this implementation of quicksort using Arrows? votes: 10, answers: 2
- Initializing algebraic data type from list votes: 9, answers: 4
- Scoped type variables require explicit foralls. Why? votes: 9, answers: 1
- Parsing UnicodeSyntax with haskell-src-exts votes: 8, answers: 1
Until next time,
+Daniel Santa Cruz