Welcome to issue 266 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the week of April 7 to 27, 2013.
Quotes of the Week
- hpc: the dirty secret of haskell programmers is that their power does not come from their PhD, but their bowtie
- tibbe: I think I have implemented a reverse state monad by mistake. The numbers suggest I'm getting the values tunneled back from the future. :/
- SaulGorn: A formalist is one who cannot understand a theory unless it is meaningless.
- cmccann: laziness by default is a shortcoming. eagerness by default is a bigger shortcoming.
- monochrom: #haskell-blah has brilliant people too. for example me.
- limo: OK, guys was nice meeting you and now I'm a proud owner of a GHCi icon on my desktop
- otters: lens law #1: the implementation must be shorter than the type
- MartinDeMello: Any sufficiently well-commented Lisp program contains an ML program in its comments.
- tgeeky: whatever man. Jesus only had twelve or so deciples, lens has 80!
- SatnamSingh: I always thought that category theory was something that happened to other people. (#ICFP)
- cmccann: see the thing is tabs are good for indentation. haskell doesn't use indentation, it uses alignment. it is not indenting. it is ASCII art.
- JohnVonNeumann: In mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
- edwardk: you can view Yoneda f as enforced fmap fusion and Codensity f as enforced bind fusion.
Top Reddit Stories
- Functors, applicatives, and monads in pictures. From (adit.io), scored 136 with 67 comments.
- What I Wish I Knew When Learning Haskell, Stephen Diehl [39 slides, Left/Rgt-arrow key to back/advance]. From (dev.stephendiehl.com), scored 119 with 37 comments.
- git clone in Haskell from the bottom up. From (stefan.saasen.me), scored 86 with 6 comments.
- Vinyl: Modern Records for Haskell. From (jonmsterling.com), scored 56 with 27 comments.
- Follow-up: Web Woes for Haskell. From (self.haskell), scored 49 with 9 comments.
- What does “coalgebra” mean in the context of programming? (StackOverflow). From (stackoverflow.com), scored 45 with 23 comments.
- The Mother of all Monads - School of Haskell. From (self.haskell), scored 42 with 27 comments.
- Why do all the Haskell Web Frameworks rely on Template Haskell?. From (self.haskell), scored 40 with 59 comments.
- Job opening for Haskell developer in Nijmegen (NL). From (self.haskell), scored 39 with 6 comments.
- Tutorial: Building a Sample Application with Haskell Snap, PostgreSQL, and the PostgreSQL Simple Snaplet. From (janrain.com), scored 39 with 17 comments.
- Haskell for all: Defaults. From (haskellforall.com), scored 38 with 20 comments.
- Haskell for all: pipes-concurrency-1.0.0: Reactive programming. From (haskellforall.com), scored 38 with 23 comments.
- Haskell in Ipython. From (github.com), scored 38 with 7 comments.
- A taste of Curry (Wolfgang Jeltsch). From (jeltsch.wordpress.com), scored 38 with 0 comments.
- Complete and Easy Bidirectional Typechecking for Higher-Rank Polymorphism. From (semantic-domain.blogspot.co.uk), scored 37 with 21 comments.
- Template Haskell on impossible architectures (x-post from r/programming). From (joeyh.name), scored 37 with 14 comments.
- inefficient Ackermann implementation not obvious how to improve. From (stackoverflow.com), scored 37 with 20 comments.
- Haskell for all: pipes and io-streams. From (haskellforall.com), scored 37 with 20 comments.
- Build applications with Shake build system. From (lethalman.blogspot.it), scored 35 with 5 comments.
- What’s in a number? criterion edition. From (serpentine.com), scored 34 with 6 comments.
- Announcing postgresql-simple 0.3.1. From (blog.melding-monads.com), scored 34 with 5 comments.
- LGtk: Lens-based Gtk Interface. From (people.inf.elte.hu), scored 32 with 64 comments.
- Introduction to QuickCheck testing (new FP complete SoH tutorial). From (fpcomplete.com), scored 32 with 7 comments.
- Introduction to Haskell, Lecture 12 is Live (Category Theory). This is the last lecture in this series. Thank you for your support!. From (shuklan.com), scored 31 with 4 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- What does “coalgebra” mean in the context of programming? votes: 134, answers: 3
- Ackermann very inefficient with Haskell/GHC votes: 39, answers: 7
- How to concisely express function iteration? votes: 21, answers: 3
- Does the GHC garbage collector have any special optimisations for large objects? votes: 16, answers: 1
- Parallel computations with fast randomness and purity? votes: 16, answers: 4
- Idiomatic Scala translation of Kiselyov's zippers? votes: 15, answers: 1
- Singleton types in Haskell votes: 14, answers: 1
- Encoding correctness constraints directly into the Haskell type system? votes: 14, answers: 2
- Monad transformers with identity monad votes: 12, answers: 2
- Extensible Haskell Type Classes votes: 12, answers: 4
- GADT's failed exhaustiveness checking votes: 12, answers: 2
- QuickCheck: Arbitrary instances of nested data structures that generate balanced specimens votes: 11, answers: 1
- What is this special functor structure called? votes: 11, answers: 1
Until next time,
+Daniel Santa Cruz