Welcome to issue 264 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the week of March 17 to 30, 2013.
Quotes of the Week
- ddarius: (f x) is a partial application iff f x == (curry (uncurry f) x)
- flebron: "Hey, I am Haskell; and this is lazy; so here's a function; I'll call it, maybe."
- WinstonChurchill: It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations.
- ab9rf: (on duck typing) if you want a duck-submarine-employee-tomato, you can do that
- johnw: Stealing lens from the gods, and then having my liver eaten out daily.
- dibblego: scala puts road blocks in your way proportional to how effective you want to be
- hiptobecubic: I want my programs to either be correct or violently explode
- shachaf: edwardk will try to get you addicted to monoids. The first one is always free.
- merijn: So apparently there's a footballer named lens, who played some important part in the match against the Netherlands... Which would explain the fact that twitter is telling me "lens" is trending, I was starting to think haskell had won the PL revolution with edwardk as our glorious leader ;)
- elliott: all I want for christmas is a boring lambdabot.
Top Reddit Stories
- What’s good for C++ is good for … Haskell!?. From (serpentine.com), scored 101 with 20 comments.
- Anatomy of Programming Languages (in Haskell). From (self.haskell), scored 72 with 29 comments.
- Programming and Reasoning with Algebraic Effects and Dependent Types. From (edwinb.wordpress.com), scored 58 with 28 comments.
- School of Haskell—Basic Lensing. From (fpcomplete.com), scored 57 with 39 comments.
- Haskell for all: mmorph-1.0.0: Monad morphisms. From (haskellforall.com), scored 56 with 18 comments.
- Haskell News. From (haskellnews.org), scored 43 with 12 comments.
- pipes-3.2: ListT, Codensity, ArrowChoice, and performance. From (haskellforall.com), scored 43 with 19 comments.
- Introducing diagrams-haddock. From (byorgey.wordpress.com), scored 41 with 13 comments.
- Optimising Purely Functional GPU Programs. From (justtesting.org), scored 41 with 2 comments.
- Creating board games in Haskell in 100 lines of code. From (keera.co.uk), scored 38 with 30 comments.
- What is the logarithm or root operation in type-space? (x-post from r/compsci). From (cstheory.stackexchange.com), scored 38 with 17 comments.
- New GHC Extension - Nullary Type Classes (apparently not an April Fool's joke). From (hackage.haskell.org), scored 37 with 24 comments.
- The Monad.Reader issue 21. From (themonadreader.files.wordpress.com), scored 30 with 2 comments.
- Dependently Typed Functional Programming with Idris 4 (last lecture). From (vimeo.com), scored 28 with 4 comments.
- Conal Elliot: Folds and Unfolds. From (conal.net), scored 28 with 5 comments.
- Mihai-Radu Popescu's book in progress: "Speeding Through Haskell". From (sthaskell.com), scored 26 with 15 comments.
- hchip - a Haskell emulator for Chip16. From (self.haskell), scored 25 with 1 comments.
- Introduction to Haskell, Lecture 8 is Live (Monads). From (shuklan.com), scored 25 with 22 comments.
- School of Haskell: Learning Haskell Through Koans. From (fpcomplete.com), scored 22 with 2 comments.
- Arrow Notation in Functional Reactive Programming demonstrated with a simple OpenGL demo (Yampa). From (youtube.com), scored 22 with 9 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- Maintaining complex state in Haskell votes: 23, answers: 1
- Is using mapM/sequence considered good practice? votes: 14, answers: 3
- Can I model a list of successes with short circuiting failure via the composition of applicative functors? votes: 12, answers: 2
- Understanding Polytypes in Hindley-Milner Type Inference votes: 12, answers: 2
- Why add “Eq” type constraint without using “==”? votes: 11, answers: 1
- :: a -> (a -> b) -> b operator (Haskell) votes: 11, answers: 3
- What's the most efficient way to represent finite (non-recursive) algebraic type values? votes: 10, answers: 2
- What's the “easier way” that deprecates the need for Data.Conduit.Util's zip? votes: 10, answers: 1
- Haskell equivalent of scala collect votes: 10, answers: 1
- Scheduling a Timeout in Haskell votes: 10, answers: 1
Until next time,
+Daniel Santa Cruz