Welcome to issue 262 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the week of March 03 to 09, 2013.
Quotes of the Week
- byorgey: The box does not care whether you think it is stupid. It is box.
- ksf: duh, we can't run out of energy, as there's a fixed amount of it.
- shachaf: getLine :: IO String contains a String in the same way that /bin/ls contains a list of files
- macrover: is there a comparison between the various streams/pipes/conduits libraries?
Cale: macrover: I am presently resisting the temptation to make a table with the libraries and only one other column which is "maximum number of type parameters to a type constructor".
- tac: It's actually really easy to remember all the numeric typeclasses in Haskell. Just think about what makes sense... then make sure whatever your answer is is not that
Top Reddit Stories
- I can't shake the impression that FRP code is just awful to read. Thoughts?. From (self.haskell), scored 63 with 87 comments.
- Announcing: first release of io-streams. From (snapframework.com), scored 58 with 125 comments.
- School of Haskell Goes Public -- learning and teaching Haskell. From (haskell.fpcomplete.com), scored 50 with 26 comments.
- Announcing http-streams, a new HTTP client library for Haskell using the Snap Framework's io-streams.. From (blogs.operationaldynamics.com), scored 43 with 20 comments.
- How OCaml type checker works -- or what polymorphism and garbage collection have in common. From (okmij.org), scored 43 with 2 comments.
- Yann Esposito's "Haskell Fast & Hard": A fast-paced tutorial for Haskell beginners. From (fpcomplete.com), scored 42 with 16 comments.
- hArduino: Control your Arduino board from Haskell. From (self.haskell), scored 41 with 3 comments.
- binary 0.7. From (lennartkolmodin.blogspot.ru), scored 35 with 14 comments.
- IRC Browse: #haskell — first release. From (ircbrowse.net), scored 35 with 33 comments.
- Responsive design with Clay. From (fvisser.nl), scored 28 with 5 comments.
- The 'build' function explained. From (self.haskell), scored 28 with 9 comments.
- How (the syntactic type equality of) GADTs inhibit abstraction. From (lukepalmer.wordpress.com), scored 26 with 26 comments.
- Caledon 2.0: Consistency & IO. Now based on the calculus of constructions.. From (github.com), scored 21 with 7 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- Are thread pools needed for pure Haskell code? votes: 27, answers: 1
- Independent subset of cabal packages set votes: 21, answers: 2
- Should I use a lexer when using a parser combinator library like Parsec? votes: 19, answers: 1
- Current state of Haskell soft real-time votes: 9, answers: 2
- Difference for ncurses between interpreted and compiled Haskell? votes: 9, answers: 1
- More fun with applicative functors votes: 8, answers: 5
- What's the real benefit of conduit's upstream type parameter? votes: 8, answers: 2
- What's the benefit of conduit's leftovers? votes: 8, answers: 2
Until next time,
+Daniel Santa Cruz