Welcome to issue 257 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the week of January 27 to February 02, 2013.
Quotes of the Week
- shachaf: Everyone forgets about Agda Lovelace, the first constructivist.
- applicative: I have my new ghc and am reinstalling my feeble world
- wuttf: My world is starting to feel like isToyLanguage x = x /= Haskell
- PenguinOfDoom: Being enlightened gentlemen, we split all programming languages into two groups, sucks and doesn't-suck and put all of them into the first group.
- Taneb: lens has got to be the only library with more contributors than people who know how it works
- shachaf: I like to put all my application's modules under GHC.* That's because I use the GHC API, and I want them not to conflict.
Top Reddit Stories
- The FP Complete School of Haskell goes beta. From (fpcomplete.com), scored 84 with 45 comments.
- My reaction to: How To Exclude Women From Your Technical Community: A Tutorial. From (self.haskell), scored 75 with 145 comments.
- Edward Yang: The GHC scheduler. From (blog.ezyang.com), scored 72 with 1 comments.
- GHC HEAD now has support for named holes; an extension of -XTypeHoles. Feedback welcome!. From (github.com), scored 44 with 32 comments.
- LiquidHaskell - Safely Catching A List By Its Tail. From (goto.ucsd.edu), scored 44 with 2 comments.
- ProseDoc: A literate programming tool for Haskell inspired by docco. From (shangaslammi.github.com), scored 43 with 12 comments.
- ANNOUNCE: GHC version 7.6.2. From (haskell.org), scored 39 with 16 comments.
- What you consider "advanced" Haskell topics?. From (self.haskell), scored 34 with 45 comments.
- How to write unmaintainable Haskell code. From (github.com), scored 34 with 49 comments.
- Introduction to Haskell, Lecture 3 is Live (Types and Typeclasses). From (shuklan.com), scored 32 with 5 comments.
- Proposal: A trivial Cabal package signing utility for use with Hackage. From (github.com), scored 32 with 61 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- Haskell/GHC UndecidableInstances - example for non-terminating type check? votes: 19, answers: 2
- Efficient parallel strategies votes: 15, answers: 2
- Is it possible to implement MonadFix for `Free`? votes: 15, answers: 2
- Do Haskell imports have side effects? votes: 15, answers: 1
- What monads can be expressed as Free over some functor? votes: 10, answers: 1
- What is the point of having a lazy/strict version of Writer? votes: 10, answers: 1
- Why can applicative functors have side effects, but functors can't? votes: 9, answers: 4
- How to write fixed point build rules in Shake, e.g. Latex votes: 9, answers: 1
- Event handling in Netwire compared to conventional FRP frameworks votes: 9, answers: 2
Until next time,
+Daniel Santa Cruz