Welcome to issue 256 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the weeks of January 20 to 26, 2013.
Quotes of the Week
- elliott: cmccann: unfortunately it is too perfect an abstraction to be useful.
- SamanthaD: shachaf: you're one of those dirty imperative communists who want the state to dictate everything!
- monochrom: I refuse camel case and mark zuckerberg. same level. not negotiable.
- mauke: a newtype is like an existing type but wearing glasses and a fake mustache and a sign saying "you've never seen me before"
Top Reddit Stories
- Taking magic out of GHC or: Tracing compilation by transformation (intro to Core transformations, inlining,... From (ics.p.lodz.pl), scored 59 with 2 comments.
- Introduction to Haskell IO. From (haskellforall.com), scored 57 with 26 comments.
- The longest type signature I have ever seen (package Nussinov78). From (i.imgur.com), scored 48 with 26 comments.
- There is now a patch for the GHC runtime system which implements a scheduler which can handle threads with priorities.. From (hackage.haskell.org), scored 47 with 12 comments.
- Success story: novice haskeller moves console cursor with “netwire” FRP library. From (danbst.wordpress.com), scored 43 with 8 comments.
- Haskell as pseudo code. From (arxiv.org), scored 33 with 2 comments.
- Generalizing do notation. From (self.haskell), scored 28 with 19 comments.
- Tutorial: Up-front Unit Testing in Haskell. From (github.com), scored 26 with 21 comments.
- The Design of a Practical Proof Checker for a Lazy Functional Language [PDF]. From (people.cs.missouri.edu), scored 26 with comments.
- Introduction to Haskell, Lecture 2 is Live. From (shuklan.com), scored 24 with 4 comments.
- Hugs in your browser. From (tryhaskell.org), scored 24 with 21 comments.
- Free functors - the reason Free and operational are not equivalent. From (self.haskell), scored 24 with 12 comments.
- Scribbling, smudging and smearing with Haskell. From (self.haskell), scored 22 with 108 comments.
- Touch and Keyboard API (announcing Elm 0.7.1). From (elm-lang.org), scored 20 with 3 comments.
- (re)implementing the generalised Functor strength function using lenses.. From (statusfailed.com), scored 20 with 3 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- Can using UndecidableInstances pragma locally have global consequences on compilation termination? votes: 20, answers: 1
- Why doesn't GHC Haskell support overloaded record parameter names? votes: 14, answers: 1
- How much does it cost for Haskell FFI to go into C and back? votes: 14, answers: 2
- Compile unsafe Haskell votes: 13, answers: 1
- Why GADT/existential data constructors cannot be used in lazy patterns? votes: 12, answers: 2
- Correct design for Haskell exception handling votes: 11, answers: 2
- How to use phase control of inlining in haskell? votes: 10, answers: 0
- Looking for resources that help testing a Haskell implementation for standard conformance votes: 9, answers: 1
- Generate a C struct based on a complex Haskell type votes: 8, answers: 1
- How to structure a Haskell project? votes: 7, answers: 1
- Difference between two functions creating a singleton list votes: 7, answers: 3
Until next time,
+Daniel Santa Cruz