Welcome to issue 253 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the week of November 25 to December 01, 2012.
Quotes of the Week
- edwardk: this breaks my previous record of 6 unsafeCoerce's in a line
- bos:Harpers gona harp.
Top Reddit Stories
- Pretty Output in GHCi (HOWTO in comments). From (i.imgur.com), scored 82 with 14 comments.
- Stable, Vetted Hackage: Call for Participation. From (yesodweb.com), scored 59 with 24 comments.
- Strict vs non-strict semantics: "Why can’t I just be a little lazy?". From (blog.ezyang.com), scored 42 with 20 comments.
- io-stream: simple and easy to use primitives for I/O using streams. From (github.com), scored 37 with 10 comments.
- Toward a Secret Sky: Building a Haskell web app with Snap: Snap quickstart guide. From (unpythonic.blogspot.ca), scored 36 with 15 comments.
- Hackage: unittyped-0.1, an extendable library for type-safe computations including units. From (hackage.haskell.org), scored 34 with 23 comments.
- Easy JSON parsing in Haskell with Aeson. From (blog.raynes.me), scored 34 with 18 comments.
- 1st São Paulo Haskell Meeting. From (plus.google.com), scored 29 with 4 comments.
- Conal Elliott: "Parallel speculative addition via memoization". From (conal.net), scored 26 with 11 comments.
- Elm: Making the Web Functional [video/slides]. From (infoq.com), scored 26 with 1 comments.
- From traced monoidal to compact closed: geometry of interaction explained with (OCaml) code. From (semantic-domain.blogspot.fr), scored 18 with 22 comments.
- Static Analysis with Applicatives. From (gergo.erdi.hu), scored 17 with 13 comments.
- 24 Pull Requests - Does Anyone Have Project Suggestions?. From (self.haskell), scored 16 with 3 comments.
- what if haskell-platform was a hackage metapackage?. From (self.haskell), scored 16 with 7 comments.
- Does anyone know if more videos are going to be posted to Haskell Live TV?. From (youtube.com), scored 15 with 2 comments.
- Data-driven hacks for DB querying — is this evil?. From (hpaste.org), scored 13 with 22 comments.
- Why does this result not appear in this search in Hoogle?. From (self.haskell), scored 12 with 10 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- Is putStrLn thread-safe? votes: 12, answers: 1
- How do you prove that a function is unique for its type? votes: 11, answers: 1
- Laziness/strictness between data and newtype votes: 10, answers: 2
- Why do we use folds to encode datatypes as functions? votes: 10, answers: 1
- Haskell repa - how to reduce array and return index? votes: 7, answers: 2
- How much is applicative really about applying, rather than “combining”? votes: 7, answers: 1
- Why is that not lazy votes: 7, answers: 2
- Biapplicative and Bimonad? votes: 6, answers: 1
- reactive-banana-wx `sink` does not generate an event enabling post-sink processing votes: 6, answers: 1
- Expand type synonyms, type families with GHCi votes: 6, answers: 1
- Converting expression to pointfree style (Haskell) votes: 6, answers: 1
- ADTs vs. Typeclasses — Canonical use votes: 6, answers: 1
- Haskell: Monitor a file without polling (à la inotify in linux) votes: 6, answers: 3
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz