Welcome to issue 252 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the week of November 18 to 24, 2012.
Quotes of the Week
- rwbarton: edwardk now has Lens under Control
- atriq: My son looks a bit like me, he can put away the plates after dinner now thanks to edwardk!
- mgsloan: Lens got 99 operators, but a (|>) ain't one.
- hiptobecubic: I feel like this program is just a bunch of glue and duct tape holding a bottle of nitroglycerine off of the ground.
- xplat: Some software is worth trying; most is just plain trying.
- edwardk: Control.Lens is my secret ploy to get everyone to give up on Haskell and just move on to Agda as they find the Haskell types too complicated by comparison.
- rwbarton: alpha reduction is what happens when you let edwardk maintain your module
- edwardk: er that was a tongue sticking out, not an operator suggestion
Top Reddit Stories
- [Haskell] Leaving Microsoft. From (haskell.org), scored 139 with 24 comments.
- Help Nikki (Game written in Haskell) jump on Steam!. From (joyridelabs.de), scored 77 with 8 comments.
- Gaussian distributions are monoids. From (izbicki.me), scored 46 with 24 comments.
- Getting Started with Lenses. From (newartisans.com), scored 42 with 32 comments.
- Designing the Haskell IDE. From (fpcomplete.com), scored 41 with 112 comments.
- Putting haskell down. From (b7j0c.org), scored 33 with 279 comments.
- London Haskell Video (24-Oct-2012) – Why Do Monads Matter?. From (youtube.com), scored 33 with 5 comments.
- Combinatorial species definition (Brent Yorgey). From (byorgey.wordpress.com), scored 31 with comments.
- PhD Positions in Functional Programming at Chalmers (appl. deadline 2012-12-12). From (chalmers.se), scored 28 with comments.
- Video of the presentations at the first NYC Haskell User's Group meetup.. From (vimeo.com), scored 25 with 10 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- Where to start with dependent type programming? votes: 16, answers: 1
- What other ways can state be handled in a pure functional language besides with Monads? votes: 13, answers: 3
- Why are some Prelude functions defined in terms of foldl? votes: 8, answers: 3
- cabal FFI dependency votes: 8, answers: 1
- How to write Ctrl-C handler in Haskell? votes: 7, answers: 1
- Why does the 2-tuple Functor instance only apply the function to the second element? votes: 5, answers: 2
- Type Families with GHC.Generics or Data.Data votes: 5, answers: 0
- Haskell Programmatically/Dynamically Define Functions votes: 5, answers: 6
- is this implementation of merge sort good? votes: 5, answers: 1
- Railroad diagrams for Haskell? votes: 5, answers: 1
- Is FRP a proper way to implement most “event-driven” things? votes: 5, answers: 1
- Stack overflow in very simple code votes: 5, answers: 1
- Mapping over Either's Left votes: 5, answers: 3
- Haskell - strict vs non-strict with foldl votes: 5, answers: 2
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz