Welcome to issue 249 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the week of October 21 to October 27, 2012.
Quotes of the Week
- johnw: ah terminology, just when you think you know something, they redefined "know"...
- lispy: The crappy thing about using partial fun*** Exception: Pattern match failure
- shachaf: This Useful Information information brought to you by: ghci, and: the letter t
- edwardk: i should have picked a better name to minimize confusion
cmccann: huh. that's not something I ever expected to hear edwardk say
- beaky: why did they settle on bitshiftrightassign (>>=) for monadic bind?
Top Reddit Stories
- Why is this simple text processing program so much slower than in dynamic languages?. From (honza.ca), scored 64 with 189 comments.
- Fay slides. From (fay-lang.org), scored 50 with 42 comments.
- Haskell for all: "Hello, core!". From (haskellforall.com), scored 48 with 6 comments.
- Haskell job opening at Functor AB. From (alpmestan.com), scored 35 with 5 comments.
- Enemy of the Mutable State. From (ozonehouse.com), scored 32 with 10 comments.
- Gloss(ish) and Fay: An Example. From (zelda.designacourse.com), scored 29 with 7 comments.
- Yesodweb: Future work to improve the performance of Warp. From (yesodweb.com), scored 25 with comments.
- (a,b,c,d) as sugar for (a,(b,(c,d))) ?. From (self.haskell), scored 23 with 37 comments.
- Using Cloud Haskell in HPC Cluster. From (malcodigo.blogspot.com.es), scored 23 with comments.
- Haskell Platform 2012.4.0.0 release candidates. From (trac.haskell.org), scored 23 with 3 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- Concrete example showing that monads are not closed under composition (with proof)? votes: 24, answers: 3
- Why is there no IO transformer in Haskell? votes: 15, answers: 2
- Is it possible to make GHC optimize (deforest) generic functions such as catamorphisms? votes: 14, answers: 1
- Confused by the meaning of the 'Alternative' type class and its relationship to other type classes votes: 13, answers: 5
- How to add fields that only cache something to ADT? votes: 13, answers: 0
- How to reliably compare runtime of Haskell and C? votes: 10, answers: 1
- Currying Product Types votes: 10, answers: 3
- Modular Program Design - Combining Monad Transformers in Monad Agnostic functions votes: 9, answers: 2
- Is there a nicer way to apply a function to both elements of a pair in a list than a list comprehension? votes: 9, answers: 3
- How unpacking strict fields goes together with polymorphism? votes: 9, answers: 1
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz