Welcome to issue 248 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the week of October 14 to October 20, 2012.
Quotes of the Week
- shachaf: Don't fixity fit ain't broken.
- shachaf: SIKP, the cheap knockoff book that uses the less-known programming language "skeem"
- shachaf: category-extras was so great until the antitrust lawsuit.
- Cale: If there was a second syntax and we named it cata' would that be a catastrophe?
- acowley: I just don't want edwardk to name them, because he'll choose a name like "x"
- cmccann: so edwardk has abstracted things to the point where you can use his libraries without even installing them
- Jafet: Agda has an evaluator?
- johnw: but probably the other package is more "idiomatic". if by that you mean "uses mathematics to such a degree that most people walk away in consternation"
- copumpkin: if I throw enough CT terms out there, one of them is bound to be right eventually
- spj: "Our imperative colleagues do a lot of reasoning about their systems. Well, they have to."
- spj: "You do the category theory, and you talk to Gordon. And he talks to Phil. And Phil talks to me."
- ciaranm: a confusion is just the categorical dual of a fusion, which is just a fusoid in the category of brainofunctors
Top Reddit Stories
- The University of Heidelberg now uses Haskell for the intro cs course!. From (self.haskell), scored 85 with 60 comments.
- Cartesian Closed Comic #15: Iteratees. From (ro-che.info), scored 74 with 2 comments.
- Fast Code Nation: The Bright Side of High-Level Languages. From (bos.github.com), scored 63 with 11 comments.
- VIDEO: Simon Marlow on High Performance Concurrency at the Haskell eXchange at Skills Matter Oct. 10th. From (skillsmatter.com), scored 44 with comments.
- Cellular automata as comonads. From (blog.sigfpe.com), scored 36 with 10 comments.
- VIDEO: Simon Peyton Jones at the Haskell eXchange about the origins and the future of Haskell. From (skillsmatter.com), scored 31 with 6 comments.
- Duality for Haskellers : Inside 206-105. From (blog.ezyang.com), scored 31 with 1 comments.
- Communication Patterns in Cloud Haskell (Part 4): K-Means. From (well-typed.com), scored 27 with comments.
- VIDEO: Duncan Coutts on Cloud Haskell at the Haskell eXchange at Skills Matter Oct 10. From (skillsmatter.com), scored 26 with 29 comments.
- How to use Yesod without Template Haskell. From (yesodweb.com), scored 26 with comments.
- Variance Shadow Mapping with LambdaCube 3D. From (lambdacube3d.wordpress.com), scored 23 with 5 comments.
- Thinking Functionally with Haskell | PragPub 2012/10. From (pragprog.com), scored 21 with 1 comments.
- Haskell Automatic Information Labeling System - new release and video. From (self.haskell), scored 18 with 4 comments.
- Livecoding with the Happstack web framework. (2 hour video). From (youtube.com), scored 18 with 22 comments.
- VIDEO: Blake Rain on Scalable web applications with YESOD at the Haskell eXchange at Skills Matter Oct 10. From (skillsmatter.com), scored 17 with 2 comments.
- Measuring the performance of Warp. From (yesodweb.com), scored 17 with 13 comments.
- Tail Recursive Sorting (QuickSort). From (self.haskell), scored 15 with 31 comments.
- a class that generalizes over Functor, Functor2, Functor3, and so on — Redshift Phase 2: types classes for types with arbitrary numbers of * parameters. From (csks.wordpress.com), scored 15 with 17 comments.
- Wiggling Sums: a somewhat interesting Traversable problem. From (jaspervdj.be), scored 13 with 12 comments.
- VIDEO: Lennart Augustsson on 'Making EDSL's Fly at the Haskell eXchange at Skills Matter Oct 10. From (skillsmatter.com), scored 12 with 5 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- Why not be dependently typed? votes: 25, answers: 1
- Writing cojoin or cobind for n-dimensional grid type votes: 23, answers: 0
- Monad Transformers vs Passing parameters to functions votes: 21, answers: 1
- SOAP web services in haskell? votes: 16, answers: 1
- How does one statisfy a class constraint in an instance of a class that requires a type constructor rather than a concrete type? votes: 13, answers: 1
- If “List” is a monoid, what is its “set”? votes: 13, answers: 2
- Lambda calculus in Haskell: Is there some way to make Church numerals type check? votes: 13, answers: 2
- Relation between Haskell Threads and OS Threads in the GHC votes: 13, answers: 1
- Can Scala's Cake Pattern be implemented in Haskell? votes: 12, answers: 2
- Agda Type-Checking and Commutativity / Associativity of + votes: 9, answers: 1
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz