Welcome to issue 250 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the week of October 28 to November 3, 2012.
Quotes of the Week
- Cale: A list is a bit like a loop which hasn't happened yet. This operation is similar to "how do I make the 5th iteration of my loop do something different from the others?"
- broombs: Why are there multiple packages for EitherT?
broombs: edwardk: which is the better one?
edwardk: broombs: either
And today, we have our first quote submited via twitter! Thank you @gersei for sending this one in. If you'd like to submit quotes via twitter, add @HWNQuotes to your tweet.
- @kmett:We now generate pretty core but have ugly code.
Top Reddit Stories
- Cartesian Closed Comic #15: Iteratees. From (ro-che.info), scored 75 with 2 comments.
- Are there any, or is there interest in starting, an online Haskell course like the Scala course on Coursera?. From (class.coursera.org), scored 69 with 16 comments.
- Why is this simple text processing program so much slower than in dynamic languages?. From (honza.ca), scored 65 with 189 comments.
- Fast Code Nation: The Bright Side of High-Level Languages. From (bos.github.com), scored 59 with 11 comments.
- Fay slides. From (fay-lang.org), scored 56 with 42 comments.
- Data.Records: extensible records using the latest GHC features. From (github.com), scored 55 with 44 comments.
- Why Cabal Has Problems. From (softwaresimply.blogspot.com), scored 50 with 41 comments.
- The cabal/hackage situation, and what you can do about it. From (alpmestan.com), scored 49 with 14 comments.
- Brian O'Sullivan's favorite bug in GHC. From (twitter.com), scored 48 with 12 comments.
- Haskell for all: "Hello, core!". From (haskellforall.com), scored 45 with 6 comments.
- Michael Snoyman: Yesod, AngularJS and Fay. From (yesodweb.com), scored 43 with 26 comments.
- Cellular automata as comonads. From (blog.sigfpe.com), scored 41 with 10 comments.
- pipes-2.5: Faster and slimmer. From (haskellforall.com), scored 41 with 56 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- Writing cojoin or cobind for n-dimensional grid type votes: 41, answers: 3
- Why not be dependently typed? votes: 39, answers: 3
- Concrete example showing that monads are not closed under composition (with proof)? votes: 32, answers: 4
- Monad Transformers vs Passing parameters to functions votes: 24, answers: 1
- Why is there no IO transformer in Haskell? votes: 16, answers: 2
- Is it possible to make GHC optimize (deforest) generic functions such as catamorphisms? votes: 16, answers: 1
- Is it possible to use irrefutable tilde (`~`) patterns in lambda expressions? votes: 14, answers: 1
- Can Scala's Cake Pattern be implemented in Haskell? votes: 13, answers: 2
- Confused by the meaning of the 'Alternative' type class and its relationship to other type classes votes: 13, answers: 5
- How to add fields that only cache something to ADT? votes: 13, answers: 0
- Type algebra and Knuth's up arrow notation votes: 13, answers: 1
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz