Welcome to issue 242 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the week of August 19 to 25, 2012.
Quotes of the Week
- srhb: I think that's going into space rather than diving into the deep end.
- edwardk: normally i don't bother with little things like "documentation", "benchmarks" and "tests", but I recently discovered that when I do, I get these curious things called "users".
- shachaf: "Number of comonads released by edwardk will exceed the number of words in the English language by 2015, experts report."
Top Reddit Stories
- Hackage2 server ready for testing. From (haskell.org), scored 75 with 16 comments.
- Monads In Pictures. From (newartisans.com), scored 60 with 24 comments.
- A new fast and easy to use CSV library. From (blog.johantibell.com), scored 53 with 26 comments.
- duckduckgo.com just became my favorite search engine due to haskell support. From (self.haskell), scored 50 with 14 comments.
- An example on how ridiculously powerful haskells type system is. From (chrisdone.com), scored 44 with 61 comments.
- Galois Internship Available: Come build high-assurance autonomous vehicles!. From (corp.galois.com), scored 43 with 13 comments.
- Issue 20 « The Monad.Reader. From (themonadreader.wordpress.com), scored 34 with 8 comments.
- Functional Game Design: Making Pong in Elm. From (elm-lang.org), scored 29 with 11 comments.
- Making HaskellDB slightly more type-safe. From (chrisdone.com), scored 28 with 3 comments.
- Identifying outdated packages in cabal install plans. From (byorgey.wordpress.com), scored 24 with 5 comments.
- ghcLiVE project escapes!. From (ghclive.wordpress.com), scored 23 with 16 comments.
- My view on why relational algebra matters. From (users.utu.fi), scored 22 with 16 comments.
- ANN basic-prelude 0.3 (now comes with a fully-featured Prelude replacement). From (haskell.org), scored 21 with comments.
- I just realized that running monads is applying a left monad action. From (self.haskell), scored 21 with 53 comments.
- You can soon play in the cabal sandbox. From (blog.johantibell.com), scored 20 with 10 comments.
- Unordered tuples and type algebra. From (byorgey.wordpress.com), scored 18 with 3 comments.
- Haskell-Type-Exts Passed the Final Evaluation. From (cleantypecheck.wordpress.com), scored 16 with 3 comments.
- LambdaJam Conference (from the creator of Strange Loop) -- Coming to Chicago in Summer 2013!. From (lambdajam.com), scored 15 with comments.
- Hello world in SKI combinator calculus. From (self.haskell), scored 14 with 16 comments.
- Is this Monoid instance in the standard library somewhere?. From (self.haskell), scored 14 with 7 comments.
- Applicative functors: definition and syntax (a reply). From (tomasp.net), scored 13 with 7 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- Lazy Evaluation and Time Complexity votes: 40, answers: 7
- What is the purpose of Rank2Types? votes: 21, answers: 3
- “Modern” HList? votes: 16, answers: 1
- Overloading of operators votes: 14, answers: 1
- When is a composition of catamorphisms a catamorphism? votes: 11, answers: 4
- Tacit function composition in Haskell votes: 10, answers: 2
- Haskell pattern matching on GADTs with Data Kinds votes: 9, answers: 1
- Store polymorphic callbacks in Haskell votes: 8, answers: 1
- Having trouble understanding Haskell's type system votes: 8, answers: 2
- Function composition hint votes: 7, answers: 2
- Comparing speed of Haskell and C for the computation of primes votes: 6, answers: 4
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz