Welcome to issue 241 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the week of August 12 to 18, 2012.
Quotes of the Week
- monochrom: seq is a suggestion. pseq is an order.
- johnw: Haskell is like using a finely crafted blade to whittle yourself a canoe, as your friends pass by on their cruise liner and wonder what you're up to
Top Reddit Stories
- Yesod gets financial backing.. From (yesodweb.com), scored 76 with 23 comments.
- The category design pattern. From (haskellforall.com), scored 65 with 32 comments.
- I remember the time before monads | free variable. From (free-variable.org), scored 64 with 5 comments.
- GHC 7.6.1 Release Candidate 1. From (haskell.org), scored 55 with 33 comments.
- PVP: upper bounds are not our friends. From (haskell.org), scored 49 with 94 comments.
- MongoDB on the hunt for Haskell Evangelist. From (haskellers.com), scored 36 with 17 comments.
- Raspberry Pi in a Haskell Cloud. From (alenribic.com), scored 33 with 6 comments.
- Practical Foundations for Programming Languages (first impressions). From (blog.ezyang.com), scored 30 with comments.
- Scoutess GSoC project finished!. From (self.haskell), scored 28 with 4 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- Subtype polymorphism in Haskell votes: 17, answers: 2
- Is it possible to use a bracketing syntactic sugar for an applicative functor? votes: 14, answers: 2
- Useful operations on free arrows votes: 11, answers: 0
- Against cold boot attacks: how to restrain sensitive information in Haskell votes: 9, answers: 1
- GHCi and compiled code seem to behave differently votes: 7, answers: 1
- Implementing Iota in Haskell votes: 7, answers: 1
- Understanding STG votes: 6, answers: 1
- Quickcheck for non-boolean tests votes: 6, answers: 0
- Screen capture in Haskell? votes: 6, answers: 3
- typeclass challenge: having both variadic arguments and results votes: 6, answers: 2
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz