Welcome to issue 240 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the week of August 05 to 11, 2012.
Quotes of the Week
- johnw: Monads are an interface, all bets are off until you see what the interface does for a given Type
- Evbn: I heard that Untyped and Well Typed tried to set up a corporate softball league, but they couldn't agree on a ruleset to use.
- wuttf: i think i have to learn this language, the type systems i know just dont feel right
Top Reddit Stories
- Studying protein structures in Haskell. From (haskellforall.com), scored 53 with 6 comments.
- Haskell Live Episode 2: Time To Refactor is up!. From (youtube.com), scored 52 with 14 comments.
- Announcing Raskell - user ratings for Hackage. From (ocharles.org.uk), scored 43 with 29 comments.
- Yesod 1.1 Released. From (yesodweb.com), scored 38 with 14 comments.
- Running Haskell on Raspberry Pi. From (alenribic.com), scored 37 with 5 comments.
- Koka - a "function"-oriented language with side-effect inteference. From (rise4fun.com), scored 36 with 18 comments.
- Is Haskell liberal or conservative? (Response post to Yegge). From (blog.ezyang.com), scored 34 with 51 comments.
- ANNOUNCE: basic-prelude. From (haskell.org), scored 34 with 8 comments.
- ANNOUNCE: tardis. From (haskell.org), scored 31 with 3 comments.
- Any Hackage mirrors? How do you deal with Hackage outages?. From (self.haskell), scored 30 with 27 comments.
- Is there a standard Haskell development setup for Vim?. From (self.haskell), scored 29 with 44 comments.
- O'Reilly Webinar this Thursday: Designing Type-Safe Haskell APIs. From (yesodweb.com), scored 28 with 8 comments.
- acid-state with Yesod. From (meadowstalk.com), scored 25 with 13 comments.
- Philip Wadler: Faith, Evolution, and Programming Languages [InfoQ]. From (infoq.com), scored 25 with 6 comments.
- Hiring Haskell Developers (Singapore). From (cufp.org), scored 22 with 13 comments.
- Verifying Software Transactional Memory: bisimulation in Agda [pdf]. From (cs.nott.ac.uk), scored 22 with comments.
- iterate (*2) 1. From (postimage.org), scored 17 with 13 comments.
- Error Handling: How would you solve this?. From (self.haskell), scored 16 with 11 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- Advice defining a data structure in Haskell votes: 13, answers: 4
- What is the preferred way to combine two sinks? votes: 13, answers: 2
- Why is numCapabilities a pure function? votes: 12, answers: 1
- Using generics to convert between types of the same “shape” votes: 10, answers: 1
- Controlling parallel execution votes: 9, answers: 2
- Lists of lists of lists votes: 9, answers: 5
- Positive integer type votes: 8, answers: 5
- Haskell bit arrays votes: 7, answers: 1
- How to keep track of number of guesses in a simple guessing game (Haskell) votes: 6, answers: 2
- A haskell program that controls the mouse votes: 5, answers: 1
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz