Welcome to issue 239 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the week of July 29 to August 4, 2012.
Quotes of the Week
- romm: i thought i knew programming. this is like discovering a new continent.
- edwardk: i think the comonads are warm fuzzy, and the monads are warm sticky. its easy to get out of a comonad, its soft and you like wearing it. monads on the other hand stick to you and are icky
Top Reddit Stories
- Update on GHC's new code generator. From (hackage.haskell.org), scored 70 with 39 comments.
- The first video in my new series of free Haskell live coding videos. From (youtube.com), scored 64 with 61 comments.
- hbro, Haskell based browser, ideologically similar to uzbl. From (github.com), scored 48 with 18 comments.
- Thinking Functionally with Haskell | PragProg. From (pragprog.com), scored 32 with 6 comments.
- Two ways of representing perfect binary trees : Inside 374. From (blog.ezyang.com), scored 30 with 1 comments.
- Hoogle: from the command line. From (self.haskell), scored 28 with 8 comments.
- Free monad transformers. From (haskellforall.com), scored 27 with 11 comments.
- If someone asked you "why Haskell?", what would you say?. From (self.haskell), scored 26 with 73 comments.
- Feedback from someone who learnt Haskell as his first language. From (blog.raynes.me), scored 25 with 50 comments.
- Why isn't 'length' part of 'Foldable'?. From (self.haskell), scored 23 with 19 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- Monoidal parsing -- what is it? votes: 19, answers: 2
- Applying multiple functions to the same value point-free style in Haskell votes: 7, answers: 4
- How do I get consistent criterion benchmarks, or interpret results across runs? votes: 7, answers: 1
- Why is this prime test so slow? votes: 7, answers: 4
- Is there a theory that combines category theory/abstract algebra and computational complexity? votes: 7, answers: 1
- Haskell Polymorphic Tree Sum votes: 7, answers: 1
- reasonably efficient pure-functional matrix product in Haskell? votes: 7, answers: 3
- Is access to internal strucutre of a monad required for monad transformer? votes: 7, answers: 1
- Haskell sub-typeclass requires UndecidableInstances? votes: 6, answers: 2
- Haskell Data.List.Class and syntax votes: 6, answers: 1
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz