Welcome to issue 238 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the week of July 22 to 28, 2012.
Quotes of the Week
- clsmith: i find programming in haskell is mostly about reinventing things and then discovering them in Prelude
- EvanR: ruby, cobol of the 2000s
- monochrom: "customers who used == also liked: foldr, map, Ord, continuation passing style"
- jmcarthur: we calmly talk trolls to death
Top Reddit Stories
- Haskell logo QR code. From (self.haskell), scored 44 with 5 comments.
- In Praise of EitherT. From (ocharles.org.uk), scored 43 with 9 comments.
- The must-know list of packages on hackage?. From (self.haskell), scored 39 with 29 comments.
- SmartCheck: a better QuickCheck for testing algebraic data and generalizing counterexamples found. From (leepike.wordpress.com), scored 39 with 6 comments.
- Programming in Fay - Simple example. From (youtube.com), scored 30 with 17 comments.
- Flexibly-Phased Constraints in Haskell. From (jonmsterling.com), scored 28 with 19 comments.
- Do you use Haskell in business? What do you use it for?. From (self.haskell), scored 24 with 57 comments.
- ANN: CmdTheLine 0.2 released -- with new tutorial.. From (elifrey.com), scored 23 with 11 comments.
- State of the Shelly (Haskell scripting lib). From (yesodweb.com), scored 23 with 1 comments.
- Hackage b0rked for cabal 0.10.2. From (self.haskell), scored 22 with 4 comments.
- Pipes to Conduits part 0: Combining Functors. From (unknownparallel.wordpress.com), scored 22 with 18 comments.
- Deconstraining DSLs [PDF]. From (doc.ic.ac.uk), scored 19 with 2 comments.
- What is the reason for Haskell's cabal package problems?. From (self.haskell), scored 17 with 41 comments.
- Pipes to Conduits part 4: Recovering from Abort. From (unknownparallel.wordpress.com), scored 16 with comments.
- Pipes to Conduits part 1: Yield and Await. From (unknownparallel.wordpress.com), scored 15 with 5 comments.
- Pipes to Conduits part 2: Upstream Results. From (unknownparallel.wordpress.com), scored 15 with 9 comments.
- Instance Templates: a proposed feature to change type class hierarchies without breaking compatibility. From (github.com), scored 15 with 6 comments.
- Categories over pairs of types. From (twanvl.nl), scored 15 with 1 comments.
- Pipes to Conduits part 3: Abort. From (unknownparallel.wordpress.com), scored 14 with 12 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- What does "Pure" mean, in the context of programming languages and paradigms? votes: 21, answers: 2
- Can a thunk be duplicated to improve memory performance? votes: 17, answers: 3
- What's the current status of restricted monads? votes: 14, answers: 1
- Is it good style to use a case expression on an Unit value just to use guards? votes: 13, answers: 3
- Temporary namespace/context in Haskell votes: 12, answers: 3
- Using the LogicT Monad Transformer in Haskell votes: 12, answers: 1
- Irrefutable pattern does not leak memory in recursion, but why? votes: 11, answers: 1
- How to determine type of Haskell functions? votes: 11, answers: 3
- Haskell: map runST votes: 9, answers: 3
- How to play with Control.Monad.Writer in haskell? votes: 9, answers: 1
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz