Welcome to issue 237 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the week of July 15 to 21, 2012.
Quotes of the Week
- Eduard_Munteanu: Sufficiently advanced category theory is indistinguishable from trolling
- Ralith just wait till I publish foldl'' / it is enterprise-ready
Top Reddit Stories
- Lambda-case and multi-way if added to GHC head (for 7.6.1). From (hackage.haskell.org), scored 68 with 71 comments.
- Purify code using free monads. From (haskellforall.com), scored 60 with 47 comments.
- Cloud Haskell Appetiser: an introductory glimpse at the new distributed-process package. From (well-typed.com), scored 38 with 14 comments.
- Code Us Some Roguelike in Haskell (Part 2)!. From (jamiltron.com), scored 37 with 6 comments.
- The Power of Types Compels You. From (paczesiowa.blogspot.com.au), scored 33 with 14 comments.
- RecordWildCards for localised module imports -- what do you think?. From (hpaste.org), scored 30 with 48 comments.
- FRP - Translated slides from tutorial session. From (apfelmus.nfshost.com), scored 28 with comments.
- [PDF] First-Class Modules -- What happened?. From (research.microsoft.com), scored 27 with 9 comments.
- First class modules without defaults. From (haskellforall.com), scored 23 with 27 comments.
- gotchas with -threaded GHC runtime: accessing a MVar after forkprocess. From (joeyh.name), scored 22 with 4 comments.
- A Tutorial on the Curry-Howard Correspondence. From (wellnowwhat.net), scored 20 with 11 comments.
- The Haskell Implementors Workshop 2012 Programme is out!. From (haskell.org), scored 20 with 6 comments.
- Minimize your cloud costs with GLPK: linear programming. From (chrisstucchio.com), scored 18 with 2 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- Profiling the cost of polymorphism? votes: 16, answers: 1
- hackage.haskell.org documentation convention meaning votes: 13, answers: 1
- What is the 'Const' applicative functor useful for? votes: 13, answers: 2
- Why does State need a value? votes: 11, answers: 6
- Haskell module naming conventions votes: 9, answers: 2
- Haskell RSS, mail and XML library choices votes: 8, answers: 0
- Haskell: Equality constraint in instance votes: 8, answers: 1
- Profiling a Haskell program votes: 8, answers: 4
- How can I turn either a Unix POSIX file descriptor or standard input Handle into a Socket? votes: 7, answers: 2
- Reify a module into a record votes: 7, answers: 1
- ByteStrings in Haskell: should I use Put or Builder? votes: 6, answers: 2
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz