Welcome to issue 233 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the week of June 17 to 23, 2012.
Quotes of the Week
- ciaranm: if it's ugly, it's imperative. if it's incomprehensible, it's functional.
- xplat: when life gives you lemons, make lemonads
Top Reddit Stories
- What are everyone's favorite "aha" moments in learning Haskell?. From (self.haskell), scored 93 with 156 comments.
- Unit testing isn't enough. You need static typing too.. From (evanfarrer.blogspot.ca), scored 82 with 22 comments.
- Snap Framework 0.9 Released. From (snapframework.com), scored 60 with 7 comments.
- Haskell's record system is a cruel joke. From (labs.scrive.com), scored 52 with 100 comments.
- Polymorphic Update with van Laarhoven Lenses. From (r6.ca), scored 51 with 9 comments.
- Building a blog with Snap and Heist. From (bonus500.github.com), scored 45 with 30 comments.
- Totality vs. Turing completeness (McBride)[PDF, 35 slides, ±]. From (personal.cis.strath.ac.uk), scored 42 with 22 comments.
- GHC's imprecise (non-deterministic) "error". From (stackoverflow.com), scored 41 with comments.
- Hackage comments -- a simple user script. From (chrisdone.com), scored 39 with 17 comments.
- A Notation for Comonads (Orchard, Mycroft) [pdf]. From (cl.cam.ac.uk), scored 38 with 48 comments.
- Taming list syntax in Haskell. From (labs.scrive.com), scored 36 with 29 comments.
- Shell scripting with type-safety using Haskell -- Linux-Magazine Online. From (linux-magazin.de), scored 36 with 32 comments.
- [ANN] GenCheck - a generalized property-based testing framework. From (permalink.gmane.org), scored 30 with comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- How do exceptions in Haskell work? votes: 53, answers: 1
- Has anyone ever compiled a list of the imports needed to avoid the "not polymorphic enough" definitions in Haskell's standard libraries? votes: 19, answers: 1
- Why does adding a polymorphic type signature degrade performance? votes: 13, answers: 2
- To write or not to write `module Main where` in Haskell votes: 10, answers: 1
- Why aren't FingerTrees used enough to have a stable implementation? votes: 10, answers: 3
- What is the difference between PArray and [::] in Data Parallel Haskell? votes: 9, answers: 0
- Why discarded values are () instead of (bottom) in Haskell? votes: 8, answers: 5
- Is it possible to embed Haskell in a C library opaquely? votes: 8, answers: 1
- NoMonomorphismRestriction helps preserve sharing? votes: 8, answers: 2
- Why doesn't Haskell/GHC support record name overloading votes: 7, answers: 2
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz