Welcome to issue 232 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the week of June 10 to 16, 2012.
Quotes of the Week
- irene-knapp: ewtoombs: the universe is already an interactive quantum physics simulator
- Philipp: "While in Python every problem can be solved with a big enough Hashtable, in Haskell, every problem can be solved with an additional type parameter."
- kulin: man, i am loving this existential quantification, i feel like now i will use it incorrectly to solve every problem for sure
- mekeor: xmonad is awesome (ignore the ambiguity, please)
Top Reddit Stories
- Waldo - the Haskell powered codebase behind xkcd's Umwelt comic. From (self.haskell), scored 75 with 16 comments.
- "ARM is now a fully supported target platform for GHC, complete with GHCi support". From (haskell.org), scored 60 with 17 comments.
- 3D Mandelbrot in OpenGL from imperative to functional style.. From (yannesposito.com), scored 36 with 8 comments.
- ANN: clckwrks - a Haskell blogging and CMS framework. From (groups.google.com), scored 35 with 21 comments.
- web server C10k benchmark: snap vs. erlang, go, node.js, java. From (github.com), scored 35 with 5 comments.
- GADTs. From (haskellforall.com), scored 33 with 74 comments.
- Announcing Elm 0.2: Haskell integration (Yesod, HAppStack, and Snap), better error messages, larger examples, and more.. From (self.haskell), scored 30 with 8 comments.
- command line options using applicative without Template Haskell. From (github.com), scored 28 with 13 comments.
- Haskell and Yesod - Book on writing web applications in Haskell. From (shop.oreilly.com), scored 28 with 5 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- Tying the Knot with a State monad votes: 33, answers: 3
- Lazy evaluation of terms in an infinite list in Haskell votes: 32, answers: 4
- What is going on with the types in this ghci session? votes: 17, answers: 1
- the seq function and strictness votes: 14, answers: 2
- Is it possible to "hide" language extensions? votes: 11, answers: 2
- Rebinding do notation for indexed monads votes: 11, answers: 1
- Haskell: "how much" of a type should functions receive? and avoiding complete "reconstruction" votes: 9, answers: 1
- Intelligent purely functional sets votes: 8, answers: 1
- Is there a better way to express the absolute error function in point-free notation? votes: 8, answers: 2
- GADTs vs. MultiParamTypeClasses votes: 7, answers: 2
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz