Welcome to issue 231 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the week of June 03 to 09, 2012.
Paolo Capriotti announced the patchlevel release of GHC 7.4.2. "This release contains a number of bugfixes relative to 7.4.1, so we recommend upgrading."
Quotes of the Week
- roconnor: there's a right way, and a wrong way, and then there is the ekmett way.
Top Reddit Stories
- Haskell Platform 2012.2.0.0 released. From (hackage.haskell.org), scored 104 with 33 comments.
- Why free monads matter. From (haskellforall.com), scored 61 with 47 comments.
- 3 Flavors of MVar: Lock, Var, Barrier. From (neilmitchell.blogspot.com), scored 43 with 20 comments.
- Introducing the HERMIT Equational Reasoning Framework. From (ittc.ku.edu), scored 36 with 20 comments.
- Complicating conduit?. From (yesodweb.com), scored 35 with 45 comments.
- Beautiful Code, Compelling Evidence: OpenGL, Cairo tutorial [PDF, 33 pages]. From (renci.org), scored 33 with 2 comments.
- Forklift - a pattern for performing monadic actions in a worker thread. From (apfelmus.nfshost.com), scored 30 with 7 comments.
- Dependently typed programming with singletons (Eisenberg, Weirich)[PDF]. From (cis.upenn.edu), scored 29 with 3 comments.
- Continuation-based relative-time FRP. From (paolocapriotti.com), scored 22 with 6 comments.
- Explaining the Prompt monad with a clearer representation. From (joeysmandatory.blogspot.com), scored 21 with 42 comments.
- Lazily Evaluate length of a list. From (self.haskell), scored 21 with 29 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- Killing a thread when MVar is garbage collected votes: 22, answers: 4
- How does one write efficient Dynamic Programming algorithms in Haskell? votes: 16, answers: 3
- How to apply a polymorphic function to a Dynamic value votes: 11, answers: 1
- Haskell Typeclass for Tuples votes: 11, answers: 3
- Monadic expressions in conditionals - GHC compiles, cabal refuses votes: 10, answers: 2
- GHC Optimization: Collatz conjecture votes: 10, answers: 2
- Haskell: Lists vs Streams votes: 10, answers: 3
- Is my program Turing-complete? votes: 9, answers: 2
- How to find the optimal processing order? votes: 9, answers: 1
- How to do fast data deserialization in Haskell votes: 9, answers: 1
- What's so bad about OverlappingInstances? votes: 9, answers: 1
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz