Welcome to issue 230 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the week of May 27 to June 02, 2012.
Mark Lentczner had great news for us this week, announcing the release of the Haskell Platform 2012.2.0.0. Many many thanks to the platform team for getting this release out the door!
Top Reddit Stories
- Conduit bugs. From (haskellforall.com), scored 45 with 25 comments.
- Response to "Conduit Bugs". From (yesodweb.com), scored 43 with 53 comments.
- Haskell fully async Chan/TChan vs. Go's channels. From (plus.google.com), scored 42 with 14 comments.
- Most Important GHC extensions to learn/use?. From (permalink.gmane.org), scored 38 with 11 comments.
- What's so bad about Template Haskell?. From (stackoverflow.com), scored 35 with 8 comments.
- stylish-haskell: A simple tool to clean up Haskell code. From (github.com), scored 32 with 74 comments.
- Understanding Haskell's monomorphism restriction. From (self.haskell), scored 27 with 38 comments.
- Pipes 2.0 vs pipes-core. From (paolocapriotti.com), scored 26 with 40 comments.
- FP Complete and Well-Typed delivered a two-day hands-on Haskell training at Qualcomm. From (haskell.org), scored 26 with 2 comments.
- ICFP'12 Accepted Papers (with links, where available!). From (github.com), scored 26 with 2 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- What's so bad about Template Haskell? votes: 67, answers: 3
- Which Haskell (GHC) extensions should users use/avoid? votes: 23, answers: 1
- Space leak with redundant use of seq in GHC interpreter votes: 17, answers: 2
- Is there a list of GHC extensions that are considered 'safe'? votes: 15, answers: 1
- What are lenses used/useful for? votes: 14, answers: 4
- Haskell: Can I perform several folds over the same lazy list without keeping list in memory? votes: 12, answers: 2
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of using lenses? votes: 11, answers: 2
- Calculating work done by f x = (x,x) votes: 11, answers: 1
- Why is function definition for all types at once not allowed in Haskell? votes: 10, answers: 5
- Generic variant of bi f a b = (f a, f b) votes: 9, answers: 4
- Unicode console I/O in Haskell on Windows votes: 9, answers: 1
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz