Welcome to issue 227 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the week of May 6 to 12, 2012.
Doaitse Swierstra reminded us about the Summer School on Applied Functional Programming, at Utrech University. Hurry to check it out, as the deadline for registration is May 20th!
Janis Voigtländer announced the release of the 22nd edition of the Haskell Communities and Activities Report.
Quotes of the Week
- dcoutts: (on #darcs): "[on github:] it's like the facebook of source repos"
- dmwit: "Functional programming" is a technical term that means more than just what the two words mean separately.
- Axman6: "GHC Warning: Did you see that in an OOP textbook? You probably don't want to be doing that"
- StevenKaas: Haskell's Wager: what if infinite lists can suffer infinitely even when lazily evaluated?
- quicksilver: "Patent covering a device for emitting greetings to the world community as a whole in computer-readable format" (US Patent no 1787528391)
Top Reddit Stories
- Videos to the functional programming course I attend are freely available. I thought you might enjoy them.. From (self.haskell), scored 47 with 10 comments.
- red-black trees in haskell, using GADTs, existential types, and zippers, oh my. From (gist.github.com), scored 40 with 21 comments.
- Equality proofs and deferred type errors, A compiler pearl [Vytiniotis, Peyton Jones,Magalhaes PDF]. From (research.microsoft.com), scored 40 with 17 comments.
- LLVM now supports NVIDIA GPU's. From (nvidianews.nvidia.com), scored 36 with 19 comments.
- The Architecture of Open Source Applications, Volume II (with chapters on GHC and Yesod, royalties go to Amnesty International). From (lulu.com), scored 35 with 9 comments.
- Jesper's Blog: My Take on Haskell vs Scala. From (jnordenberg.blogspot.com), scored 29 with 8 comments.
- Haskell Communities and Activities Report --- May 2012. From (haskell.org), scored 27 with 3 comments.
- Keter: Web App Deployment. From (yesodweb.com), scored 23 with 19 comments.
- A small and simple tip for Google Code Jam-mers. From (self.haskell), scored 22 with 15 comments.
- Composable Value Editors for GTK. From (twdkz.wordpress.com), scored 21 with comments.
- The Brittleness of Type Hierarchies (codegrunt.co.uk) and a Haskell approach. From (self.haskell), scored 16 with 17 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- Static types, polymorphism and specialization votes: 18, answers: 3
- Redoing the standard classes [closed] votes: 12, answers: 2
- Using Cont to acquire values from the future and the past votes: 11, answers: 1
- Why is `($ 4) (> 3)` equivalent to `4 > 3`? votes: 9, answers: 3
- Recursively defined instances and constraints votes: 9, answers: 1
- Freeing memory allocated with newCString votes: 8, answers: 1
- What is the meaning of “quasi” in quasiquotations? votes: 8, answers: 5
- Ensuring files are closed promptly votes: 7, answers: 3
- Is there ever a good reason to use unsafePerformIO? votes: 7, answers: 5
- What characters are permitted for haskell operators? votes: 7, answers: 3
- Defining an algebra module using constructive-algebra package votes: 6, answers: 2
- Haskell: Type safety with logically different Boolean values votes: 6, answers: 3
- Data structure to represent automata votes: 5, answers: 2
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz