Welcome to issue 225 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the week of April 22 to 28, 2012.
Matthias Fischmann made a call for participation to the Hong Kong Haskell hackathon, with tentative dates of May 11-13 or 25-27. Follow to link for more information.
HacPhi, the hackathon in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA, will be held between August 3-5, 2012.
Quotes of the Week
- lambdabot was last seen on #haskell 1 hour, 37 minutes and 46 seconds ago, saying: <IO ()>
- elliott: oh, it's not haskell-cafe? that explains the reasonable responses ["it" = GHC mailing list]
- Morandat: "The astute reader will have noticed that the above example clashes with our claim that R is lexically scoped. As is often the case, R is lexically scoped up to the point it is not."
- quicksilver: lisp doesn't have equational reasoning so there is nothing to lose :)
- JoeyA: One thing I like about Haskell versus C++ is that abusing language features tends to give more satisfying results.
monochrom: that seems to be a criterion for drugs rather than languages :)
Top Reddit Stories
- Darcs 2.8: faster, better annotate; patch stash (obliterate -O); revert hunk split; and more!. From (wiki.darcs.net), scored 63 with 21 comments.
- The Haskell / Snap ecosystem is as productive (or more) than Ruby/Rails.. From (blog.dbpatterson.com), scored 63 with 46 comments.
- Cabal is now hosted on GitHub. From (github.com), scored 44 with 20 comments.
- Eight Haskell Google Summer of Code projects accepted. From (google-melange.com), scored 40 with 25 comments.
- “Live” code update for Haskell. From (self.haskell), scored 31 with 17 comments.
- Functional Programming in C++. From (altdevblogaday.com), scored 30 with 12 comments.
- Why do we not define IO as a Free monad?. From (self.haskell), scored 28 with 47 comments.
- Elm: Source code and Compiler/Server now available. Write FRP code for the web!. From (self.haskell), scored 27 with 11 comments.
- An experiment with Bayesian Networks in Haskell. From (alpheccar.org), scored 27 with comments.
- More Client Side Yesod: todo sample. From (yesodweb.com), scored 25 with 10 comments.
- C Style Haskell. From (kormacode.blogspot.com), scored 24 with 21 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- Avoiding IORefs in pure code votes: 19, answers: 1
- How can I get JHC to cooperate with the android ndk? votes: 11, answers: 1
- Is there a name for this function or pattern? votes: 11, answers: 2
- Haskell rank two polymorphism compile error votes: 11, answers: 2
- Python faster than compiled Haskell? votes: 11, answers: 5
- How does one release a *nix project? votes: 10, answers: 2
- Optimizing partial computation in Haskell votes: 8, answers: 1
- Proper way to treat global flags in Haskell votes: 8, answers: 2
- Generating code for another language in Haskell votes: 7, answers: 1
- Why does haskell enumerator based IO call sigprocmask so often? votes: 7, answers: 4
- confused about function as instance of Functor in haskell votes: 7, answers: 5
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz