Welcome to issue 224 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the week of April 15 to 21, 2012.
Some of these announcements are a bit behind, for which I apologize. Better late than never...
The long awaited version of cabal-install is out!
Janis Voigtlander is looking for contributors for the May 2012 edition of the Haskell Comunities and Activities Report. If you have anything Haskell related that you have been working on, make sure to send Janis a note. The deadline is May 1st.
Jeremy O'Donoghue announced the release of wxHaskell 0.90. "his release represents a significant milestone for us as it includes support for wxWidgets 2.9.x."
Janis Voigtlander also issued a call for papers for the Haskell Symposium 2012, Copenhagen, Denmark on 13th September, 2012, directly after ICFP.
Eric Kow released the 9th edition of the Parallel Haskell Digest.
Quotes of the Week
- TSC: The type families might have little type children
- mm_freak: i'd love to have an embeddable Agda type checker and evaluator
mm_freak: that would make a great scripting language for haskell programs
- shachaf: You can't spell "-funsafe" without "fun" and "safe".
- elliott: By the way, I find the inclusion of a package named "colour" in a section titled "Color" offensive :)
- elliott: I don't think Haskell can ever hope to enter the enterprise if we can't model non-standard colourblind observers with it.
- danharaj:oh hey this looks nice.
Mathnerd314: every open-source math library under the sun glued together into a Python framework
danharaj: nevermind o_o
- elliott: What do we do with people who paste code blocks on IRC? We yell at them.
- acowley: I am a bull in a math shop
- elliott: I like how edwardk's answer to every question always goes "most abstract solution to the problem possible --> microoptimisation details".
elliott: I swear I've seen him go from category theory to unboxed types and unsafeCoerce in a single line of IRC.
- shachaf: It is a sobering thought that by the time Galois was my age, he had been dead for almost two months.
Top Reddit Stories
- Why do Monads Matter? (or it's Monad tutorial season again). From (cdsmith.wordpress.com), scored 64 with 27 comments.
- Ur/Web records: can we apply lessons from them to Haskell?. From (blog.ezyang.com), scored 53 with comments.
- Blank Canvas - a new Haskell graphics library based on HTML5 and canvas>. From (ittc.ku.edu), scored 42 with 10 comments.
- Client Side Yesod, an FRP-inspired approach. From (yesodweb.com), scored 41 with 44 comments.
- Understanding Haskell Kinds. From (softwaresimply.blogspot.com), scored 38 with 18 comments.
- Adding SIMD Support to Data Parallel Haskell. From (ghc-simd.blogspot.co.uk), scored 35 with 8 comments.
- Working With HTML In Haskell. From (adit.io), scored 31 with 24 comments.
- Descending the level ladder. From (monoidal.blogspot.com), scored 26 with 13 comments.
- Why is Haskell so large?. From (self.haskell), scored 25 with 29 comments.
- Parallel Haskell Digest 9: GSoC, STM, SIMD, and the Downfall of Imperative Programming?. From (well-typed.com), scored 25 with 1 comments.
- blaze-html 0.5 released. From (jaspervdj.be), scored 25 with 3 comments.
- Four Tips for New Haskell Programmers. From (softwaresimply.blogspot.com), scored 22 with 72 comments.
- Check for interest - an argument/option parser using type level strings. From (self.haskell), scored 22 with 13 comments.
- New Cabal feature: cabal bench. From (blog.johantibell.com), scored 22 with 3 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- The Pause monad votes: 20, answers: 5
- To what extent are macros functions in reverse? votes: 15, answers: 6
- Curry-Howard isomorphism votes: 13, answers: 3
- How does Djinn work? votes: 12, answers: 3
- How is co-recursion handled? votes: 12, answers: 2
- Distinction between typeclasses MonadPlus, Alternative, and Monoid? votes: 11, answers: 1
- Why can't Existential Types use record syntax? votes: 11, answers: 2
- Given a Haskell type signature, is it possible to generate the code automatically? votes: 11, answers: 4
- Is it possible to force a type to a class in Haskell? votes: 10, answers: 6
- Haskell concurrency - is forkIO really nondeterministic? votes: 10, answers: 2
- Where to find programming exercises for applicative functors? votes: 9, answers: 4
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz