Welcome to issue 212 of the HWN, a newsletter covering developments in the Haskell community. This issue covers top Haskell stories from around the web found between January 11 to 21, 2012.
Quotes of the Week
- shachaf: Haskell's type system is the perfect mix of useless and stupid.
- roconnor: gez, you write one paper explaining how a lens is really a higher order monoidal natural transformation, and suddenly everyone thinks you are an expert on lenses.
- roconnor: a lens is a monoidal natural transformation between higher-order coalgebra functors, what's the problem?
- Enigmagic: we use the 'rsync' deploy model
- cmccann: someone should implement a dependently-typed unsafeCoerce in Agda, you'd have to provide a proof that the coercion is invalid
- ghc: Couldn't match type `No' with `Yes'
Top Reddit Stories
- Idris - A language with dependent types. From (idris-lang.org), scored 43 with 30 comments.
- Purely Functional, Declarative Game Logic Using Reactive Programming. From (github.com), scored 38 with 17 comments.
- A guided tour through the bytestring library. From (meiersi.github.com), scored 32 with 10 comments.
- Comprehensions. From (patternsinfp.wordpress.com), scored 26 with 7 comments.
- Thinking of writing a tutorial series on FP and Haskell. Here's a demo.. From (codingtales.com), scored 24 with 9 comments.
- Warp Conduits Released!. From (yesodweb.com), scored 22 with 3 comments.
- Why are guards in the list comprehension faster than in the do-notation?. From (self.haskell), scored 19 with 22 comments.
- Hac Boston. From (self.haskell), scored 19 with 7 comments.
- Easy steps to install gtk and use all its features on OS X lion. From (gist.github.com), scored 16 with 10 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- What is this haskell syntax? votes: 19, answers: 1
- Why is the type of this function (a -> a) -> a? votes: 18, answers: 4
- `Integer` vs `Int64` vs `Word64` votes: 13, answers: 1
- Did I just write a continuation? votes: 12, answers: 1
- How lazy is Haskell's `++`? votes: 12, answers: 3
- Can Haskell be used to write shell scripts? votes: 12, answers: 4
- Why does this Haskell code compile? votes: 12, answers: 2
- Any nice tools for untying knots in Haskell? votes: 11, answers: 4
- Two-dimensional zipper votes: 10, answers: 2
- the way merge-sort faster than insertion-sort puzzles me votes: 10, answers: 2
- Haskell function that takes a type and a value and checks if value has that type votes: 10, answers: 1
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz