Welcome to issue 211 of the HWN, a newsletter covering developments in the Haskell community. This release covers top stories found around the net between January 01 to 14, 2012.
This is going to be a shorted version, as I have been out of time. I did not want to let more time go by without a heartbeat from your friendly HWN.
Quotes of the Week
- <ddarius> xtalmath: #math or #not-math would probably be a more appropriate place to ask.
<shachaf> ddarius: Those two channels pretty much cover it all.
<ddarius> shachaf: You're clearly not an intuitionist.
- monochrom: in fact, freedom is the freedom to write 2.2 = 4
- Jafet: caleskell is the standard golf course.
- byorgey: Escaped skolem! Authorities mount massive search. News at 11.
- BMeph: loves swapping function arguments, he said flippantly
- kmc: "Haskell is great, because Curry-Howard! Proving things in the type system. We can prove that, uh, Ints exist, unless they're [bottom]."
- Jafet: In Soviet Russia, State executes you
- byorgey: that would be known as "low-dimensional linear algebra", where "low-dimensional" is said in as condescending a tone as possible
- monochrom: at a crossroad you meet an angel (always tells the truth) or demon (always lies). the crossroad gives you two choices of roads, one to heaven, one to hell, and only the angel or demon knows which is which. if you ask "how would you answer if I asked 'what is a monad?'", what will happen?
Top Reddit Stories
- Dropbox tech blog -- Using the Dropbox API from Haskell. From (tech.dropbox.com), scored 68 with 4 comments.
- A new approach to iteratees. From (self.haskell), scored 48 with 99 comments.
- Haskell / Repa Real-Time Ray Tracing Demo. From (youtube.com), scored 45 with 7 comments.
- Order theory for computer scientists. From (matt.might.net), scored 39 with 1 comments.
- Generalizing Streams into Coroutines (with an introduction to functors, applicative functors and arrows). From (github.com), scored 38 with 15 comments.
- Well-Typed are hiring: Haskell consultant. From (well-typed.com), scored 38 with 71 comments.
- Why iteratees are hard to understand. From (blog.ezyang.com), scored 34 with 11 comments.
- Modern reall-world Haskell?. From (self.haskell), scored 33 with 21 comments.
- FRP: reactive-banana is getting dynamic event switching. From (apfelmus.nfshost.com), scored 30 with 3 comments.
- wxHaskell and wxWidgets 2.9. From (wewantarock.wordpress.com), scored 29 with comments.
- Updated Yesod blog example: i18n, authentication, authorization, and database. From (yesodweb.com), scored 28 with 22 comments.
- Experiments in Haskell Packaging. From (justhaskell.org), scored 27 with 5 comments.
- http-conduit. From (yesodweb.com), scored 26 with 26 comments.
- Reasoning about Stream Processing with Effects. From (personal.cis.strath.ac.uk), scored 26 with 6 comments.
- Simon Marlow's Parallel and Concurrent Programming Haskell (slides). From (self.haskell), scored 26 with 3 comments.
- Who is my Community? -- wxHaskell maintainer's thoughts on C bindings. From (wewantarock.wordpress.com), scored 26 with no comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- Fun with repeated fmap votes: 26, answers: 1
- Can a compiler automatically detect pure functions without the type information about purity? votes: 23, answers: 2
- What does “floated out” mean? votes: 21, answers: 2
- Haskell projects to study and learn from? votes: 19, answers: 2
- How do you identify monadic design patterns? votes: 19, answers: 4
- how do I get good (small) shrinks out of QuickCheck? votes: 16, answers: 0
- Which applicative functor is used for passing shared parameters? votes: 14, answers: 1
- Double map in haskell? votes: 12, answers: 2
- Higher ranked and impredicative types votes: 12, answers: 1
- Handling events in Haskell votes: 12, answers: 1
- Does the term “monadic” in J have anything to do with its Haskell use? votes: 12, answers: 4
- Any good articles on optimizing Haskell code? votes: 12, answers: 2
- What is a “free variable”? votes: 11, answers: 2
- Haskell Thread Communication Pattern Scenario votes: 10, answers: 1
- Defining a function by equations with different number of arguments votes: 10, answers: 1
- What functionality do you get for free with Functors or other type-classes? votes: 10, answers: 5
- Why are types with no data constructors valid? votes: 10, answers: 1
- Folding flatMap/bind over a list of functions (a.k.a. Name That Combinator!) votes: 9, answers: 2
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz