Welcome to issue 213 of the HWN, a newsletter covering quotes, stories, and questions seen around the net concerning Haskell during the week of January 22 to 28, 2012.
Quotes of the Week
- monochrom: great way to answer a semantics question by commenting on the font ... "what is the semantics of IO?" "the I may be narrower than O in some fonts, and same width in some other fonts" ... "on very old typewriters, it also denotes the number 10 (ten), for those of you looking for a denotation"
- elliott: |\/|/-\|-|-|=|\||} is my preferred mappend operator
- merijn: rostayob: I used to be a functional programmer like you, but then I took an UML diagram to the knee >.>
- mauke: monoids are simple
elliott: And as we all know, monads are basically just monoids!
monochrom: haskell is basically just ascii
- O'Keefe: "Elegance is not optional."
- O'Keefe: "If I don't write it, I won't wrong it."
- kmc: "monads are like containers, as long as you forget everything you know about containers, and treat it as a synonym for 'monad'"
- Enigmagic: this calls for mfix and some tequila
Top Reddit Stories
- SPJ : Escape From the Ivory Tower: The Haskell Journey, From 1990 to 2011. From (yow.eventer.com), scored 67 with 12 comments.
- Make Things Now! - Pragmatic FP With Haskell (slides). From (code.haskell.org), scored 44 with 22 comments.
- ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.4.1 Release Candidate 2. From (haskell.org), scored 37 with comments.
- Web app that shows you the changes between releases of packages on hackage. From (hdiff.luite.com), scored 33 with 4 comments.
- Combining Regions and Iteratees. From (haskell.org), scored 30 with 10 comments.
- MonadBaseControl is unsound : Inside 233. From (blog.ezyang.com), scored 29 with 19 comments.
- Yesod example: wiki, markdown, chat subsite, event source. From (yesodweb.com), scored 29 with 1 comments.
- inner beauty of tree traversals: pre- and post-order. From (blog.moertel.com), scored 29 with comments.
- Seem like there's a boycott of Elsevier going on.. From (thecostofknowledge.com), scored 29 with 1 comments.
- Unifying Monoids and Monads with Polymorphic Kinds. From (jonmsterling.com), scored 26 with 29 comments.
- Modelling IO: MonadIO and beyond. From (blog.ezyang.com), scored 26 with 4 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- Is it a good idea to compile a language to C? votes: 26, answers: 7
- Haskell GHC: what is the time complexity of a pattern match with N constructors? votes: 19, answers: 1
- What to use instead of a main loop in Haskell? votes: 12, answers: 2
- Associated types and container elements votes: 12, answers: 2
- Undefined at the type level votes: 12, answers: 1
- Is there a good reason why `deleteBy` does not have its most general type? votes: 10, answers: 3
- Using low bitsize integral types like `Int8` and what they are for votes: 9, answers: 2
- How is the ghc runtime support for profiling implemented? votes: 9, answers: 2
- how to achieve "product of two monads" effect? votes: 9, answers: 1
- Combine two monads when neither has a transformer? votes: 9, answers: 1
- Why don't type synonyms permit recursion in Haskell? votes: 8, answers: 2
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz