Welcome to issue 207 of the HWN, a newsletter covering developments in the Haskell community. This release covers the week of October 30 to November 05, 2011.
New and Updated Projects
- hierarchical-clustering-diagrams (Felipe Almeida Lessa; 0.1) Library to draw diagrams of dendrograms.
- websockets (Jasper Van der Jeugt; 0.4.0.0) Major re-write to the library with support for multiple versions of the protocol.
- cereal (Trevor Elliott; 0.3.4.0) Provides support for IEEE754 encoded Float/Double values.
Quotes of the Week
- wyfrn: whats broken? my brain or ghci?
- dons: Being really mean to your software, and following up when it breaks, makes it a lot better. But you have to be really, really mean.
- hpc: and when you want to get really ridiculous, agda has universe polymorphism, which is when you don't know how high up the tower of turtles you have managed to climb
Top Reddit Stories
- Quick and dirty reinversion of control.. From (blog.sigfpe.com), scored 59 with 7 comments.
- Running a Startup on Haskell [Presentation]. From (infoq.com), scored 57 with 12 comments.
- LLVM patch is merged for inclusion in LLVM 3.0 release | GHC on ARM. From (ghcarm.wordpress.com), scored 48 with 2 comments.
- Thunks and lazy blackholes: an introduction to GHC at runtime. From (mainisusuallyafunction.blogspot.com), scored 39 with 0 comments.
- GHC feature request: warn about unused constraints -- "I think this could make for a nice project for someone wanting to dig into hacking on GHC". From (byorgey.wordpress.com), scored 34 with 16 comments.
- Haskell Implementors Workshop 2011 Videos Online!. From (neilmitchell.blogspot.com), scored 31 with 3 comments.
- What Constraints Entail, Part 1. From (comonad.com), scored 29 with 0 comments.
- [Newbie]: Haskell code is really slow compared to same code in Python. Can anyone help me find what the problem is ?. From (self.haskell), scored 29 with 51 comments.
- Please help me gather information about Haskell installations on Macs. From (gist.github.com), scored 26 with 14 comments.
- Why learning Functional Programming (and Haskell in particular) can be hard. From (harishankar.org), scored 25 with 46 comments.
- How do you write nontrivial tests in QuickCheck?. From (self.haskell), scored 23 with 15 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- Calling Haskell from Java with C in between votes: 14, answers: 1
- Is “List” specially handled in Haskell's pattern matching? votes: 14, answers: 5
- Why does this simple use of the State monad cause a stack overflow? votes: 12, answers: 1
- Why does this Haskell code not terminate? votes: 10, answers: 4
- Is it possible to make a type an instance of a class if its type parameters are in the wrong order? votes: 10, answers: 4
- How to make a type with restrictions votes: 9, answers: 3
- Desugaring do-notation for Monads votes: 9, answers: 1
- Equation from "Programming Pearls" - can somebody explain me? votes: 8, answers: 1
- ADT names. What is `Left a`, and then what is `a`, in Haskell? votes: 8, answers: 2
- Why are boxed vectors so slow? votes: 8, answers: 1
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz