Welcome to issue 206 of the HWN, a newsletter covering developments in the Haskell community. This release covers the week of October 23 to 29, 2011.
Edward Kmett extended an invitation to the Hac Boston, to be held between Jan 20 to 22, 2012 at MIT in Cambridge, MA.
Brent Yorgey has released the lastest issue of the Monad.Reader. This is a special issue on parallelism and concurrency.
Ganesh Sittampalam shared the haskell.org committee's first-year report.
New and Updated Projects
- diagrams (Brent Yorgey; 0.4) There are "quite a few changes and improvements" since the 0.1 release.
- HasGP (Sean Holden; 0.1) A library for Gaussian process inference.
- OpenGL (Jason Dagit) Updates to the following packages: OpenGL, OpenGLRaw, GLURaw, and GLUT.
Quotes of the Week
- DanBurton: are you using -XAbsurdInstances again?
- ritchie: C has the power of assembly language and the convenience of ... assembly language.
- RaptorRarr: Analogy puzzles are to intelligence as __________ is to elephants
- Eduard_Munteanu: Haskell Ain't Some Kludgy Enterprisey Lame Language
- byorgey: Monads are not supposed to be anything. They just are.
- kmc: 4:20 smoke MagicHash every day
Top Reddit Stories
- Giving Haskell a Promotion (typed type-level programming/new kind system paper). From (research.microsoft.com), scored 76 with 29 comments.
- Frameworks drive language adoption - Yesod Blog. From (yesodweb.com), scored 57 with 15 comments.
- Snap 0.6 Released. From (snapframework.com), scored 57 with 8 comments.
- Code that writes code and conversation about conversations - Yesod Blog. From (yesodweb.com), scored 49 with 23 comments.
- The Monad.Reader Issue 19: Parallelism and Concurrency. From (themonadreader.files.wordpress.com), scored 49 with 8 comments.
- Zero-Analogy Monad Tutorial. From (unknownparallel.com), scored 48 with 57 comments.
- Dear Redditor Vim-loving Haskeller(s): what cool vim plugins or features do you use?. From (self.haskell), scored 46 with 35 comments.
- Rendering animated quasicrystals in parallel, with Haskell and Repa. From (mainisusuallyafunction.blogspot.com), scored 43 with 12 comments.
- Why is there no "cabal uninstall" option?. From (self.haskell), scored 39 with 26 comments.
- Quasicrystals rendered in real time using a pre-release or Repa3 [video].. From (youtube.com), scored 36 with 0 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- How to make my Haskell program faster? Comparison with C votes: 28, answers: 4
- Why is it faster to sum a Data.Sequence by divide-and-conquer, even with no parallelism? votes: 25, answers: 2
- ST Monad == code smell? votes: 19, answers: 3
- Algorithm for type checking ML-like pattern matching? votes: 19, answers: 3
- Why does GHC think that this type variable is not injective? votes: 16, answers: 2
- Expression evaluation mode in haskell for scripting votes: 13, answers: 3
- PCRE in Haskell - what, where, how? votes: 10, answers: 4
- Non-Trivial Lazy Evaluation votes: 9, answers: 2
- How to get variable name in haskell votes: 7, answers: 2
- Is it possible to define type with callable objects in Haskell? votes: 7, answers: 3
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz