Welcome to issue 208 of the HWN, a newsletter covering developments in the Haskell community. This release covers the week of November 6 to 12, 2011.
New and Updated Projects
- GHC (Ian Lynagh; 7.2.2) bugfix release for the 7.2 branch.
- CoreErlang (Alex Kropivny; 0.0.2) New maintainer, plus some bug fixes.
- virthualenv (Bartek Ćwikłowski) A tool inspired by Python's virtualenv.
- transformers-base, transformers-abort, monad-abort-fd (Mikhail Vorozhtsov).
Quotes of the Week
- Nimatek: People shouldn't be able to add two and two in Haskell without knowing monoids!
- shachaf: Sometimes things are complicated because the domain is complicated. Other times things are complicated because edwardk.
- shachaf: It's-a me, MonadIO!
- elliott: a typeclass is nothing without semantics
- Jafet: I didn't know what your question was so I answered the question that I liked
- steakknife: Skip multidimensional types and go straight types that can express general relativity.
- ddarius: "use the right platitude for the job"
- balor: hmm....do not try to compile a file with a 30mb string in it
Top Reddit Stories
- Quick poll: upvote if you think GHC should enable -O by default, downvote if you think -O0 should continue to be the default. From (self.haskell), scored 68 with 46 comments.
- What's going on with "id id id ... id 0"?. From (self.haskell), scored 46 with 25 comments.
- HaskellDB: A long tutorial. From (chrisdone.com), scored 45 with 6 comments.
- The Agda mailing list has the best questions [somewhat off topic]. From (lists.chalmers.se), scored 41 with 1 comments.
- Virtual Haskell Environment. From (paczesiowa.blogspot.com), scored 40 with 33 comments.
- Why doesn't Haskell's Prelude.read return a Maybe?. From (stackoverflow.com), scored 39 with 44 comments.
- First release of Kansas Lava. From (ittc.ku.edu), scored 32 with 1 comments.
- A major new release of the statistics library. From (serpentine.com), scored 28 with 2 comments.
- TRYDSH - Test Your Code. From (dbwiscam.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de), scored 27 with 3 comments.
- ScalableServer-0.1 - Providing an easy API for attoparsec/enumerator/blaze based TCP services. From (github.com), scored 20 with 14 comments.
- Python 3 Implementation in Haskell [x-post from programming.reddit.com]. From (reddit.com), scored 19 with 0 comments.
- let's derive Eq.(==) -- reflexivity not guaranteed. From (self.haskell), scored 16 with 11 comments.
- Haskell and High-Performance Computing (HPC). From (self.haskell), scored 16 with 7 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- Why doesn't Haskell's Prelude.read return a Maybe? votes: 29, answers: 4
- Choosing between a class and a record votes: 27, answers: 3
- Function using foldr is too eager votes: 9, answers: 3
- Odd results from monad transformer benchmark. A bug? votes: 9, answers: 2
- Binary instance for an existential votes: 8, answers: 3
- GHC Install Without Root votes: 7, answers: 2
- Fixed point combinator in Haskell votes: 7, answers: 5
- What's the best way to write facebook apps in haskell? votes: 6, answers: 1
- Creating a list by cumulatively adding elements of another list: Haskell votes: 6, answers: 4
- ghci environment dump votes: 6, answers: 2
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz