Welcome to issue 205 of the HWN, a newsletter covering developments in the Haskell community. This release covers the week of October 16 to 22, 2011.
Ian Lynah sent out a call for nominations for the haskell.org committee. See the link for details on how to submit a nomination. Nominations close on October 29.
New and Updated Projects
- netwire (Ertugrul Soeylemez; 1.2.7)
Quotes of the Week
- kmc: i just used Hayoo to see if anyone implemented this function and it came back with one of my own libraries
- JoeyA: LLVM: The easy-to-use compiler infrastructure nobody knows how to use.
- kmc: Haskell isn't really designed by mathematicians. it's designed by people who programmers would consider to be mathematicians and mathematicians would consider to be programmers
- Cale: foldr is the real fold; foldl is an imposter
- @remember hey daniel kmc wants his uploads featured on HWN [edit note: oops, I guess that was meant for me :) +1 for new and inventive ways to communicate!]
Top Reddit Stories
- Tech-talk about Haskell at Google: Haskell Amuse-Bouche. From (youtu.be), scored 86 with 5 comments.
- Deprecate Prelude.head and partial functions. From (chrisdone.com), scored 58 with 60 comments.
- What does your company use Haskell for? I'll go first.. From (self.haskell), scored 51 with 38 comments.
- I am working on a functional web-programming language as a senior thesis. What do you think so far?. From (elm-lang.org), scored 40 with 58 comments.
- Dear Redditor Emac-loving Haskeller(s): what cool emacs Haskell Mode (or custom) features do you use?. From (self.haskell), scored 40 with 7 comments.
- Macros in Haskell. From (playingwithpointers.com), scored 38 with 0 comments.
- Type-safe event-based programming. From (jaspervdj.be), scored 35 with 0 comments.
- Yesod excellent ideas. From (yannesposito.com), scored 34 with 5 comments.
- AI Challenge: Ants. Haskell support is only for GHC 6.12. Shall we lobby for 7.0?. From (aichallenge.org), scored 28 with 24 comments.
- Why not Haskell?. From (neugierig.org), scored 27 with 26 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- What are some compelling use cases for dependent method types? votes: 44, answers: 2
- Why monads? How does it resolve side-effects? votes: 14, answers: 7
- How does Haskell printf work? votes: 13, answers: 1
- Why is my genetic algorithm seemingly behaving randomly? votes: 10, answers: 1
- What are the benefits of applicative parsing over monadic parsing? votes: 10, answers: 4
- Fixity of backtick operators? votes: 9, answers: 1
- Bit Size of GHC's Int Type votes: 8, answers: 2
- Simple word count in haskell votes: 8, answers: 4
- existential search and query without the fuss votes: 8, answers: 2
- How to selectively link certain system libraries statically into Haskell program binary? votes: 8, answers: 2
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz