Welcome to issue 204 of the HWN, a newsletter covering developments in the Haskell community. This release covers the week of October 9 to 15, 2011.
New and Updated Projects
- lhs2tex-hl (Alessandro Vermeulen; 1.4.3) Upgraded package builds with GHC 7.2.x.
- global-variables (Jean-Marie Gaillourdet; 1.0) A package providing a global namespace for IORefs, MVars, and TVars.
- vector-bytestring (Bas van Dijk; 0.0.0.0) "The very ambitious goal of this package is that it will eventually replace our beloved bytestring package. By basing this package on vector, we can benefit from all the optimizations (like stream-fusion!) in that library."
- simple-actors (Brandon Simmons; 0.1.0) An eDSL library for actor model concurrency.
- ircbot (Jeremy Shaw; 0.1.1) ... "becase that's what Haskell really needs -- another irc bot library."
Quotes of the Week
- Pseudonym: A type is a collection of values, and a class is a collection of types.
- xplat: you just need to write a corresponding set of modules for well-hung coinduction
- Porges: State is stored in spacesuits. [via: reddit]
- [djahandarie] Group projects are stupid [shachaf] Try a semigroup project sometime. You need to lose your identity.
Top Reddit Stories
- shqq: Embedding shell commands in Haskell code. From (mainisusuallyafunction.blogspot.com), scored 51 with 5 comments.
- Shooting yourself in the foot with Haskell. From (haskell.org), scored 47 with 7 comments.
- Why learn Haskell? [PDF slides]. From (ugcs.net), scored 32 with 31 comments.
- How to beat the CAP theorem - purely functional databases. From (nathanmarz.com), scored 28 with 11 comments.
- Yo /r/haskell, I heard you like monads.... From (self.haskell), scored 25 with 26 comments.
- FRP and Haskell being used for physiological experimentation and analysis - Haskell-cafe. From (haskell.org), scored 21 with 3 comments.
- Composing a list of Enumeratees. From (permalink.gmane.org), scored 19 with 14 comments.
- hp2pretty-0.5 released - Now with go faster stripes!. From (claudiusmaximus.goto10.org), scored 19 with 0 comments.
- FRP - How to deal with concurrent external events?. From (apfelmus.nfshost.com), scored 16 with 0 comments.
- Talk (by factis research) about developing commercial software in Haskell. From (factisresearch.blogspot.com), scored 16 with 5 comments.
- A French community for Haskell. From (alpmestan.wordpress.com), scored 15 with 0 comments.
- VirtuaHac: The Completely Online Hackathon. From (haskell.org), scored 15 with 8 comments.
- kmeans-vector: kmeans clustering algorithm implementation. From (hackage.haskell.org), scored 14 with 0 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- Meaning of Haskell exceptions votes: 19, answers: 2
- Are there pronounceable names for common Haskell operators? votes: 19, answers: 2
- Space leak only in certain cases in GHC interpreter when doing: concat [some list] !! n votes: 18, answers: 0
- Type theory: type kinds votes: 18, answers: 3
- Why is the minimalist, example Haskell quicksort not a “true” quicksort? votes: 16, answers: 6
- Space leaks, and Writers, and Sums (oh my!) votes: 15, answers: 3
- Can this functionality be implemented with Haskell's type system? votes: 14, answers: 3
- Total function of type (forall n . Maybe (f n)) -> Maybe (forall n . (f n)) votes: 14, answers: 3
- Standard web server interface equivalent to WSGI/Rack for Haskell votes: 9, answers: 2
- Automatic lifting of infix operators to monadic infix operators votes: 8, answers: 3
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz